So I want to shoot some people . . .

Canon Fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Not like with a gun but my camera! Did I get you? :lol:

Anyway I have learned a few things recently about why I have almost no pics with people in them and the ones that do I don't like much.

#1. Being a relatively shy person in nature I have a hard time asking total strangers if I can take photo's of them. This I think is why I love candids with big zooms!

#2. I feel awkward directing people as to what I want them to do in front of a camera (unless I have had several drinks but by then the pics stink anyway!) I however have absolutley no problem telling people what I want other times though :scratch:

#3. Often bothered by the inevitvable 20 questions about my gear, and "do you work for the paper?", or "what kind of photography do you do?" ect ect ect.

#4. Many people around this area can be quite cynical and untrusting in nature (this kind of goes with the above as well)

In short I have set a goal for myself as of New Years Eve. My resolution for the year was to concentrate much more on "correct, spot on" exposures in the camera, and to become more outward with my photo's and get shot's I normally would have passed on because I was uncomfortable.

Goal number 1? There is a butcher shop I noticed downtown yesterday. It is a beautiful throwback to the 50's and 60's. A time where you bought ALL of your meat and cheese from deli's and butchers directly instead of some mega mart. The owners look to be in their 50's or 60's as well and fit very very well. I think it would be REALLY easy to get some unbelievable period type shots in there, and I almost went in and asked but ran out of wits and time :(

I need to kick myself in the bum and get this problem licked!

Is or has anyone else been here? :(

I'm sure alot of us have been there.

I don't do alot of photos with people, but I have found that if you explain that you are a student doing this for a project, they seem willing to help you out. (fudge a little)

Offer to bring some of the photos buy also. Something that they may be able to use.

If you don't ask, they can't say yes or no.

The way I see it, you have two options:

1) Lie
2) Tell the truth

Option 1 allows you to promise that which can't be delivered and to persuade people that it either doesn't matter, or is legitimate.

Option 2 is more difficult, a common thought is: "All photographers are perverts trying to capture your soul, bottle and sell it" Option 2 takes more confidence, but is ultimately the way to go as you'll be able to relax and get what you want.

Plan your opening line to the butchers and rehearse it. Practice on a subject which you don't want as much. I find "Hi, my name's Rob and I'm taking photos for (insert reason), and I was wondering if you'd mind if I could take your picture whilst you're doing (whatever)" is the best approach. I have no shame and loads of confidence, so this may not work for you. Be prepared for the inevitable questions: "Why?" "Where will it be published", "Do you want me to take my clothes off?". The right answer varies - a celebrity will have their picture taken for a mag, but not a housewife; a butcher will probably let you take it if you give them a credit in the title.

Good luck - don't be sneaky - you'll be spotted.

I want to capture some candids too, but fear that people will mistakenly think i'm some kind of pervert...rather than trying to be a lame imitation of Henri Cartier-Bresson!

Firstly, being brandished a pervert often means that you'll get burnt alive by an angry mob!

Secondly, asking permission seems to detract slightly from the candid element!

I'm probably over stating this, but in all seriousness what are people's tips for snapping candids?

I suppose you could buy the best telephoto lens possible and sit 3/4 of a mile away, but like asking permission I suppose that defeats the object! Share your wisdom and let us know how you approach the subject please

Regards

Laudrup

That was supposed to be a little tongue in cheek... you might as well carry a sandwichboard with perv written in large letters if you're carrying a huge zoom lens!

The worst thing is I want to catch a few old people with character or tramps and I couldnt bare the humiliation of people thinking I've got a octogenarian/tramp fetish!

In seriousness though what would you say the etiquette is for shooting candids? I know it's perfectly legal, but would you ask permission first or just shoot and then if any question are asked explain what you're doing and show them the pictures? I'm new to this so am not sure of best approach?

First of all, don't lie. If you lie they might give you permission to take their photo but that would probably make you more of a pervert :)

Secondly I've never liked my picture being taken by a total stranger. I would always apreciated being asked first.

If they say no, don't push it. A no is a no. Don't intrude on peoples lives. I like taking photo's in town, but I don't want to intrude either.

Maybe I'll just walk in with this . . .

fs122.jpg

And say "freeze sucka's!" :lol:

Sure would be some unique expressions before my ride to jail!

Canon Fan said:

fs122.jpg

What are you scared of? They won't even notice you! :lmao: Try hiding it under your shirt! ;)

If your in a public area and wanna take candids, act like you own the place and pretend to be taking a picture of something else. If there's a person on the bench that you want to shoot look at the building behind them, and put on an act like your trying to take a good arcitectural shot. Then when they look away just pan down a bit and shoot em real quick. Don't make eye contact either then they'll know your spyin on them.

I've heard some people carry business cards with them too so that if someone comes up and asks them what they're doing they can give them a card then you look way more like a pro and they'll be way less worried that your trying to spy.

As a former very shy person what helped me is to invision the "worst" that can happen. They can say No. In reality that's not so bad, you can deal with it so give it a try :)

Carry business cards also helps like others have suggested.

Canon Fan said:

fs122.jpg

Ha Ha...I nearly wet myself...can you imagine walking the streets with that!

You'd be surrounded by armed police in minutes!

Back to the matter in hand...some good points made, it's been pretty helpful

Most reactions

Back