So...Native American headdresses...

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm part of a photography group on FB from back home and they like to do a lot of themed collaboration shoots (not my cup of tea but it's a good thing for the most part. It creates community instead of competitive hostility.)

Well, one photographer posed the idea of buying Native American headdresses to use as props for models. Now, personally, I would not do a shoot with the headdresses unless I was getting paid mega-bucks and had a really sweet setup. But, otherwise, the controversial nature of the subject and the inevitable "meh" images that would likely be produced kind of deter me from it.

What do you think? Is it a case of cultural over-sensitivity or is it justified?

Why just headdresses?

Why just headdresses?

Well, I didn't mean JUST headdresses. I guess anything that falls within the same general area.

But headdresses have kind of taken the main stage since they're so popular. And since Halloween is coming up, there have been so many articles floating around about NOT wearing them.

And since Halloween is coming up, there have been so many articles floating around about NOT wearing them.
Yup, Halloween, the holiday of not offending anyone, lol.

IMO, "ethnic" props or wardrobe or whatever is always sort of weird when worn by people of another background. I mean, what is the theme? "Hey, lets dress up like a bunch of Indians!", or something more sensible?

And since Halloween is coming up, there have been so many articles floating around about NOT wearing them.
Yup, Halloween, the holiday of not offending anyone, lol.

IMO, "ethnic" props or wardrobe or whatever is always sort of weird when worn by people of another background. I mean, what is the theme? "Hey, lets dress up like a bunch of Indians!", or something more sensible?

Yeah, that's part of the reason I wouldn't do it. It's become popular as a sort of "hipster fashion" prop within photography, but it almost never looks natural.

I have some friends (2) who are native Americans and I have asked their opinion. But since two guys can't speak for an entire ethnic group we went back to drinking beer.

I have some friends (2) who are native Americans and I have asked their opinion. But since two guys can't speak for an entire ethnic group we went back to drinking beer.

For some reason, your profile photo makes this response better.

Seems gimmicky. I'd photograph them if I went to a pow wow, or saw some on display as historic artifacts etc. I do needlework and learned basketry, and I like traditional native designs and crafts, but what you described? I'd pass.

Wait a minute, it's hipster fashion?? when did this happen?? lol I think Runnah might have the right idea, just go have a beer and get off that facebook page! lol

At the end of the day all races have those people who like to shout about every little real or imagined slight. The rest of the population is too busy working and taking care of thier families and friends to care about every little issue to come down the pipe.

They get quite mad when others appropriate their culture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being in the UK I didn't even know this was a thing.
I mean most of the people in their older teens to young adults now have rings in their ears which was a cultural thing from Africa - and no one really cares.

People have been dressing up as other people for generations - heck whilst its not really authentic kids used to get indian and cowboy dress-up-clothes from shops (ok so the headress was a band of plastic with some feather plastic in it but still:p).

I think there are times when we have to be sensitive to cultural insult, and other times when one has to accept that as cultures mingle and interchange all the more there will be crossover and interest on both sides.

The thing about the headdress is that it a huge symbol of honor respect and pride for native Americans. For a white person to wear one in jest or as fashion is highly insulting. It would be like me dressing as the pope as a joke to mock Catholics.

Add into the history of how the white settlers treated and continue to treat native Americans and you can start to understand why there are people upset by this.

I'm of the same train of thought as Over. First of all, it's NOT a stereotrype when it's true! Secondly, so what? It would be one thing if you were going to take what could be construed as deliberately offensive images, for instance someone in full Hasidic dress rolling around in bacon, but I doubt that's the case. We need to stop worrying about being so overly sensitive (as long as we don't become insensitive) and just accept that there are things about each one of us as individuals and as groups that others are going to find amusing, interesting, and/or want to copy.

In short: Go for it and have fun!

for a culture that was almost destroyed and is currently facing hardships symbols of thier great heritage being devalued by the very group that did the destroying is very insulting.

People get all worked up over flag burning because it's the same thing. A powerful symbol being disrespected.

I mean would Overread like it if I walked into the queens castle, wore her crown and danced around knighting people? No.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back