Solitude

Desi

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been trying new things at the beach.

This is a 3 second exposure at twilight. 2 seconds still on the tripod and 1 second panning, to introduce a sense of motion. Earlier that evening I was 2 seconds into a shot when a wave caught me and sent me running.....and I quite liked the effect, so I figured I'd try it more formally.

Let me know what you think. Critique always welcome.

Oh....yes, I know my sensor is dirty....I had to spend a lot of time cloning out sensor spots....and I missed a few. The sensor has since been cleaned.

Desi.

Solitude by Desi595, on Flickr

Interesting and evocative. I really like this as it is, apart from the bright spot just on the horizon to the left of the figure.

Thanks Tim. That bright spot doesn't bother me too much. I guess it's because I know that the city of Ventura should be there......But I suppose it doesn't really go along with the them of Solitute. Thanks for the comment.

Interesting image and the capture process. I like this one.

WesternGuy

Definitely evocative. I've seen some good work done this way by others. I think you should keep working on this type of photo, since the resulting pictures are so,so different from the rock-steady, tripod-mounted types of landscapes so often seen.

Thank you Derrel and WesternGuy. I appreciate your comments. I'll definitely keep working. Sorry to take so long to reply, been out of the country.

I like this, it has the feel of an oil abstract, soothing and calming. Echoing the comments of above, I think you've hit on something that you need to fully explore!

Ohh I like this! Great work. It looks like it could be a desert scene too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quite beautiful.
Perhaps cropping from the top to mirror the bottom and give more emphasis to the light areas?
Lovely in any case.

upload_2017-7-5_18-20-47.png

I agree as per the white dot but I don't find it terribly upsetting and I do agree with Lou's suggested crop. It would be interesting to know the particulars as per this shot: time of day, camera, lens and settings.

Thanks PaigeW and Smoke.

Thank you for the suggested crop, Traveller....I do like it. Feels less dark. (You've helped me with several photos in the past and it is always greatly appreciated)

BullDurham: I shot it just after sundown as clouds were rolling through (rare for Southern California beaches). Nikon D800 with 24-70 . 3 second exposure at f22 with ISO 50. The F-stop and ISO were chosen to give the desired exposure length. I didn't have an ND filter with me at the time. I wanted a sense of motion in the water rather than smooth stillness. F22 didn't make any difference in terms of DOF for this photo, but it made every last bit of sensor dust stand out tremendously.

but it made every last bit of sensor dust stand out tremendously.

Oh but doesn't it do just that. Thanks for the info. I was off on my internal guess thinking it was a longer exposure time. I grew up in Glendora, Ca and spent a good number of years in the HB and Seal Beach area so can appreciate the rarity of clouds rolling in...though I can recall some rather nasty banks of fog.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back