Some basic questions

kfmitchell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry that these are so basic, but I would like to understand! I am going to take some pictures here in Korea tommorrow and would like a lil understanding of the appature. And the f/#s. I have no idea what they mean. I have read a few articles on them, but don't understand! Also, how is a picture overexposed or underexposed? If someone could give me an explaination or pictures I would appreciate it! Thanks!

if you want a basic answer:

appature controls depth of field, i.e. the depth of the picture that remains in focus. So for example you would use a small apparture of say f8
for a landscape photgraph so that everything in the distance stays in focus. But if you were to take a close up of an insect or a portrait of a person you can use a larger apparture of say f2.8 to throw the background out of focus and leave the foreground subject nice n sharp.

if im wrong im sure someone will correct me...

that's right chips.

it's also important to know that a large f-number corresponds to a small aperture (opening of the iris to allow light into the camera).
if you increase the f-number, you do more than increase the depth of field, you also allow more light into the camera. if this would overexpose the shot, you should compensate by increasing the shutterspeed (so less light is let into the camera over time)

overexposure and underexposure are relative terms and are often rather subjective.
basically, if it seems too bright, it's overexposed

sry if i'm off in some of this, i've gotta run out the door :shock:

thanks guys, I think that i get the apperture. Now, how would you know if a picture will be over/underexposed while it's in the camera? I am off to check out those links!

You would know this after many many films of practice. This is the way of practice actually. Thhis is like trial and error method. After some time you will know what settings to use to get approperiae shots.

if your camera has a light meter, then it will tell you whether you are in the right exposure.

if not, then try to apply the sunny sixteen rule. your shutter speed should be what iso your film is, and your F stop should be around F8 for a sunny day. in my experiance(what little it is) F8 is a good all around Stop. Use a Tripod!

md

Most reactions

Back