some critique on a shot

chrisburke

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisburke.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
please any thoughts on this shot would be stellar. what should be different.. anything i should add.

I dont want to change the coloring, because the purpose of it is to emphasize the orange, as Big Orange (his amp) is his baby, so i wanted to bring that out in the image....

however anything else i could/should do to this pic to make it better?????

857185370_a9a9905e8e_o.jpg

It's not bad. I don't really like selective coloring and the hanging light in the BG is a little distracting. Also I would maybe shoot from a lower angle. I'm not all that expierianced and this is just my opinion.

It's not bad. I don't really like selective coloring and the hanging light in the BG is a little distracting. Also I would maybe shoot from a lower angle. I'm not all that expierianced and this is just my opinion.

yea i have lots of shots from a lower angle.. i love the low angle.. but i wanted to get him his guitar and big orange in the image.. and with the crowd right on my back, it was impossible to get a lower angle and get big orange in there

Next time crank up ISO. Also invest in a prime lens so that you can get away with not having to use flash.

i agree, the shadow really distracts me, as for the coloring.... IMO the orange makes the picture... uh... what are the words here.. there could be more contrast to the picture, but the color selection takes away from that.

:: sorry, one of those days ::

Ok, since opinions are like elbows I'll give you one of mine. The shadow absolutely has to go, I think the color scheme is cool and if that photo is for the musician you probably just made his day by highlighting his art w/your art. Perhaps ditching the color on the drums might work as well.

have a good one
3Eo

Ditching the color on everything but the amp (since it has to stay) is a good idea. Also you can clone-out that shadow. And adjust the contrast a bit to take a bit of the obviousness off of the flash use.

Just my suggestions.

Heres a REALLY sloppy example of the difference around his head with/without the shadows, and by adding some sharpening and a bit of contrast:

reallysloppyexamplets3.jpg

Obviously you'd do a better job than me, but this was a quicky splotchy thing.

Nice shadow work - I can still see a lil difference in tone value where the shadow was - but thats like such a lame critique for the time it took you to go in there. You can still tell it was a flash, but that nasty shadow is gone. Play around with curves a bit and you got a winner man. Nice job.

one small detail i noticed is that the head only has one tuft of hair, the other is actually the shadow. nice work though

Most reactions

New Topics

Back