Some digital camera questions...

railman44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Any superior brand in compact flash cards? I know Lexar or Scandisk are the biggies. My camera shop only carries Promaster. Are they all the same or is there a difference?

Any superior brand in compact flash card readers? From what I can figure out it's a copy/paste from the card to your hard-drive.

What are your feelings on the size of the card. Most cards larger than 256 or 512 max mb kinda scare me because if there is a catastrophic failure lots of work could be lost.

What are your feelings or thoughts on these matters?

Bear in mind that Nikon only recommends that you use specific brand cards with your D70. Lexar are one, can't recall the other two I'd have to look it up in the manual.

You could use other alternatives and they'd probably work fine, but if you then have a problem with the camera Nikon may choose not to help you out because you used non recommended cards. For this reason I stick to Lexar.

512MB are the smallest cards I use and I prefer to stick to 1GB otherwise I'd be swapping cards out all day long.

railman44 said:
if there is a catastrophic failure lots of work could be lost.
While there is truth in what you said, this issue is often blown out of proportion.

What if THE most important shots that were in your 256Mb card just got erased? We can come accross a lot of 'what ifs' with any medium regardless of the quantity.

The new Sandisk Extreme III comes with a data recovery program. I have never used it but have heard that it does work. I am not sure if Nikon recomeds this brand or not though. I also use 1gig cards. I was wondering if the different speed cards really work any better?

On the basis of "don't put all your eggs in one basket"

I have four cards (1 x 128mb, 2 x 256mb, 1 x 512mb)

There are three different makes, I have not noticed any difference between them

I have some generic brand 1GB card in my camera. There really is no difference between one brand or the other (at least not a noticable one).
I prefer the larger cards myself so I don't have to worry too much about running out of space. There is a possibility that it could fail but it's really not big enough to really worry about. Just import your photos more often.

I have 2 512mb cards. This works well for me b/c it limits the number of photos I shoot, but still gives plenty of room to store lots of pics. You could easily just snap off 100 shots, and by have 2 cards rather than 1gig that helps you to think more about what you're doing. As for the reader I have a SanDisk card that plugs directly into my computer. As soon as I pop the card into the reader it automatically opens and you can choose to download all, view, or select and download, quite handy really :) As far as brands go I see now difference. I have a SanDisk card and an offbrand card and each work the same. No one could tell which was in the camera. It's all up to you really :)

The cards are basically all the same. In fact, most of them are manufactured in the same factories and the only difference is that they either get a different colored case on the outside or a different sticker. I've used a few brands and never had problems with them. I just go with whatever is cheap where I can buy it, and I back up the photos to my computer often.

Most reactions

Back