some good experience with site guard/warden

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wanted to share some positive experience which happened to me while carrying a bulky (D)SLR and two lenses ... especially since some people mentioned some bad experience when being spotted with (semi)pro equipment, being sent away or being bullied and "asked" not to take any pictures.

This was on an archeological site in Mexico (Mayan temples), where part of the complex was forbidden/blocked for visitors. Anyway, I was standing in front of this temple and tried to get some good perspectives with nice light, but that was only possible if you would enter the fenced off area. Well, one of the wardens of the site saw me, looked at my camera and then invited to follow him into the fenced off area to take my pictures. He apparently appreciated "his" temples to be photographed. I think that was very kind and I was really impressed as this happens only on rare occasions. And he was not interested in any bribe money or such (as I am used to it from experience in Egypt .. there they all want bakshish).
OK, and guess what, he took it even a step further and took us almost half a mile further to some temple which tourists were not allowed at at all.

Good for you. :thumbup:

But I don't think Mexico has overreacted to photo "terriorists" like USA or others. I have been aproached by "officials" as I stop but as soon as the camera gear comes out. They have always gone away. I have not been to any "high" security areas lately though. Also unfortunately I think Race has a lot to do with security's reactions.

benhasajeep said:
Good for you. :thumbup:

But I don't think Mexico has overreacted to photo "terriorists" like USA or others. I have been aproached by "officials" as I stop but as soon as the camera gear comes out. They have always gone away. I have not been to any "high" security areas lately though. Also unfortunately I think Race has a lot to do with security's reactions.

yes, Mexico seems much more relaxed in that respect and generally people get even friendlier when you get out your gear.

On my flight from Atlanta to Germany 3 days ago, security got really curious as I had extra lenses and not just the one on my camera. They repeatedly scanned my lens bag and they were a bit puzzeled by my speckgrabber (for sensor cleaning)... but this caused only some delay, no real problems.

Alex_B said:
On my flight from Atlanta to Germany 3 days ago, security got really curious as I had extra lenses and not just the one on my camera. They repeatedly scanned my lens bag and they were a bit puzzeled by my speckgrabber (for sensor cleaning)... but this caused only some delay, no real problems.

I could give you some interesting airport security stories. I work for a charter airline and travel frequently. And on occasion I am asked to hand carry aircraft parts if I am going to go somewhere that will save them transit time.

I even once got an entire full tool box through passenger screening and they didn't even look inside. It had to have been one big red blob on their x-ray screen. I didn't even have a ticket (riding our own plane).

Sometimes they will measure a toothpick and others they don't even pay attention.

benhasajeep said:
Sometimes they will measure a toothpick and others they don't even pay attention.

yes, I know, and that can be very annoying since you never know what to expect. I once had a journey of 4 connecting flights and then going back on a different route. And me and my colleague where ALWAYS (beginning and in between each flight) picked from the crowd and had to partially undress and get our whole hand luggage screened in detail. In the end I got really annoyed and asked if this was really random, and they said not, it was just the fact of having 4 connecting flights and not having booked proper returns ...

Whats really sad is I have higher security level than TSA screeners at several major airports. And I have to go through the "you have been selected" bs because I travel on one-way tickets frequently. At several airports I can go to areas the screeners can't. They are actually fairly limited to where they can go. And they are the ones screen for security. Go figure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back