Some help for an HDR noob?

Theninjaseal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I've always really liked the concept of HDR photography and I've recently been trying it a bit more than in the past. I've got Photoshop CS5 and Photomatix. I've tried some different things and gotten lots of different results, but I don't really know if they're any good. C&C appreciated, as well as tips for better results in the future. Also these are with a hacked Canon Powershot (cringe)
-------------------------------------------

This set is from the runway near my house and the road leading to it.

Here I tried to make things a little interesting by tossing a water bottle on the ground... I realize i probably failed

WB 1st try by theninjaseal, on Flickr

The first looked overbaked to me, so I tried to tone it back but I may have gone too far:

WB 3rd try by theninjaseal, on Flickr
~~~~~~~~~~~~

This next one is Landing Lights and Head Lights. Those are the T-shaped apparatus (apparatuses? apparati?) in the midground

Landing Lights and Head Lights by theninjaseal, on Flickr

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coming in to Land
I think this one is overdone too, but I couldn't get the sky much darker. Tips for improvement?

Coming in for a Landing by theninjaseal, on Flickr

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last one, I also have 2 edits on this one because I couldn't tell what looked good.

I started with this:

Stripe 1st try by theninjaseal, on Flickr

and I thought the pavement looked too bright, so I toned it back:

Stripe 2nd try by theninjaseal, on Flickr

~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the C&C etc.

How many individual images did you use? I'm thinking seven would work well on that highway shot

Honestly I think the edits are too dark.

Not sure If I would consider these the best use of HDR but, to each his own.

The Barbarian, these were 7 or 9 shots apiece.

Vipgraphx, could you explain? I'm pretty new. Thanks.

Your concept of composition is quite well with the road leading the viewer into the scenery, but since you are experimenting with HDR photography, you could try taking a picture with the sun above the horizon. It might bring out more detail and texture in the road surface. You can also try situating another element in the picture (an aircraft, control tower, etc.) to make it more interesting. It's up to you to make the picture.

Read a few books or tutorials on HDR photography to be sure you are bracketing your photographs well. These seem too dark.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back