Someone used my photo without permission.

TordFuglstad

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So the last days one of my photos has been spreading wildly over the interwebs. It is nice to see that people like it, but none the less it is a violation of the copyrighted work. I think I would've been OK with it if they had given me credit, and linked to me.

I have sent in a DMCA takedown notice, is there anything else I can do?
0IBcUSb.png

oVzGeCz.png

9vKQXIg.png

Practically speaking, there's little you can do and even if you could I doubt it'd be worth it.

I know it sucks to not get credit for your work, but I'd say send the 9gagger a message asking him to update his post with the credits, most would be happy to comply. In my experience, most people don't even realize that copying photographs over the internet is illegal.

I would first check with the copyright laws of Norway; they may be specific in what you can do.

^What Raj said.
You might also TRY to do a little damage control by finding any instances of it you can and commenting that it's your photo. "Thank you all for the kind words about this photo. The photo credit seems to be missing; I took this on....." and so forth.

Question: Where did you first post this online? On reddit? IMO, posting a photo on reddit is practically asking for it to get used over and over without permission. Seems like it happens a LOT there.
But the truth is, any time you post a photo on the internet, this is a possibility. You can either:

1. Not post things on the internet.
2. Watermark your images. This will do absolutely nothing to keep it from being taken by those dishonest enough to do so, but it WILL at least provide a very EASY way for people who WANT to give the photographer credit the means to do so.
3. Upload only extremely low-res, smallish photos. They will still be stolen, but at least it will (somewhat) minimize what they can actually DO with the photo.

Thank you guys. I will look into what I can do.

Something good in all this is that I have this photo on 500px and it seems to be getting som attention there as well.
My all time highest pulse at 96.8! :)

Last edited:
So both 9gag and imgur took down the photos after my request. Thanks to froknowsphoto, which used to be educational, for teaching me to put copyright info in the metadata way back.

p.s. best name ever.

Read the Terms & Conditions on a website - some state that by signing up to use the site you're agreeing to their terms. Those may include that you've agreed to allow redistribution, or may allow usage by third parties, etc. etc. without the site having to notify or compensate you.

I'd think about where you're putting your photos and why you're posting them on a particular site; who is able to see your pictures and who has access to them?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back