Something I noticed about the D80

From what I can remember, CF could process data faster than SD but is that still the case? However, thinking about it, I would like SD in my camera as my laptop has a built in reader!

Historically, CF could obtain faster transfer times and larger capacities. SD cards have been catching up.... Just looking at the CF cards can bring in some common sense.. Physically more room to cram and more data paths available.

Anyone know the fastest CF in the market versus SD?

Quick hop to Sandisk shows their Extreme III SD cards at 20 mb/sec while their Compact flash Extreme IV runs at 40MB/sec.

don't forget... speed means nothing if your camera can't push data to keep up with the card. Perhaps the SD cards have obtained enough speed to handle Nikon's requirements for entry and semi-pro lines. The faster pro-level cameras with their high fps and buffers might still need the extra speed only available via CF cards.

There's a bit of history with the Nikon SD card bit. But not much....
  1. SD cards became very popular in the world of P&S cameras due to their small size. When the entire camera is 1x3x4 in size, a memory card that is half the size is a good thing.
  2. SD card speed, meanwhile, surpassed the maximum speeds required by the camera. Therefore it no longer mattered if CF is technically faster, from the point of interaction with the camera, speed was no longer a limiting factor.
  3. Nikon started using SD cards with the release of the D50 and D70s as they were aiming at pulling more P&S camera owners into the DSLR market. The usage of the SD card helps as most consumers purchasing a DSLR will already have an SD card they use with their P&S camera.
  4. The D80 used SD as it is the current "high-end" consumer level camera. Of course, labels such as "consumer" and "pro" in this context really has more to do with marketing then anything.
The funny thing about point #3 is that most people will end up purchasing a nice big SD card shortly after purchasing a DSLR, anyhow, as they'll end up taking more and/or bigger pictures and needing more memory....

As for speeds, according to a friend of mine who works as an electrical engineer for a major flash memory company, the interface is really pretty non-important when it comes to speed. The real speed is determined by the actual memory being used inside (which is when he starts rambling on about NAND vs NOR memory, etc). Consequently, any "speed" differential is really just a matter of the technology catching up (sd vs cf speeds, etc).

Ok, enough of my rambling for now....

my older 3.9 MP P&S Nikon 4300 uses CF...it must be a pro grade camera!!! :)

From what I can remember, CF could process data faster than SD but is that still the case? However, thinking about it, I would like SD in my camera as my laptop has a built in reader!

memory card used to be the bottleneck when it comes to speed...but now the bottomneck has shift to the camera itself...the memory cards are faster then the camera can offer.....at least for my camera (D80).....i can do continuous frames and see the image right away on the screen.....and it does have a compatable battery grip

I agree, but to clarify on the xD, that is a technology co-developed by Olympus and Fujifilm, and as such is used only in their products.

It would be a lot easier (and cheaper) if everybody just used the same type of memory...
Yup, I feel the same about lens mounts but the reason they have them different is so that you have to shell out more money and they rake in your hard earned cash.:mrgreen:

It doesn't bother me regarding size but I personally prefer the CF cards as they are easier for my large hands to handle but are harder to lose. :)

>>
SD card speed, meanwhile, surpassed the maximum speeds required by the camera.
>>

Although very true.... I would surmise that its just a matter of time when the camera's interface will move forward and bring more demand for even faster cards. Its race between the card and the camera... right now.. the card might be winning but cameras are not too far behind either. Canon's speedy 1dmarkII demands a lot from the card 8mp at 8.5 frames/sec. I'm sure the next gen will have even larger files to offload at even faster rate. If SD card technology is not up to the task, I'm sure the designers will look towards CF. I also wonder how reliability plays a role between the two... I would imagine that pros will favor reliability over compact size every time.

BTW.... The 1d markII (I do believe the 1ds MII as well) have both CF and SD slots.

I was always a big proponent of CF over SD until I read yesterday that the new Leica M8 uses an SD so now all bets are off.

The size of the M8, the fact it has no continuous drive, the fact that rangefinders rarely find their way into sports photography all equate to a camera that does not require the data speed.

Even the R9 shoots at 2 frames per second....

What exactly is in the Leica branding that influenced your feelings about SD versus CF?

Every review I have read about the M8 I have read many says it is an excellent camera.

CF cards are easier to grab and fit into your camera (and need it done in a hurry) when you're trying to pay attention to something else.

Nikon is also 'Kind' in reguards to backwards compatability. If you have around a grand in cards (no not me ;) ), why would you want to change?

mike

CF cards are easier to grab and fit into your camera (and need it done in a hurry) when you're trying to pay attention to something else.

Nikon is also 'Kind' in reguards to backwards compatability. If you have around a grand in cards (no not me ;) ), why would you want to change?

mike

what used to be "a grand"....now you can buy with less than "a hundred".... :p (2GB of SD for $30 nowadays...and a 120GB photo bank for $100)

Most reactions

Back