Something wrong with my PS

Wiggz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey... this is happening kind of suddenly and I do not understand why. This didn't even happen earlier today but is now happening with every photo I open in photoshop and I don't even understand what it means. When I open photoshop I get this message...

Photosohp has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video card manufacturer's website for the latest software.
GPU enhancements can be enabled in the performance panel of Preferences.

The first time it happened was when I opened an NEF file for the first time in PS. Now it happens with both NEF and JPEG files... what does this mean??

You should be asking Adobe..

And you should be more specific as to what version of Photoshop you're running (gonna guess CS4 or CS5 judging by your post) and what version of Windows... or if you're even on Windows.

Also, what does your computer have for a video card? Nvidia? What model.. 8800 or above?

It sounds to me like it's an issue with hardware acceleration in Photoshop. It could be solved by just updating your video drivers or direct-x. Hard to guess though..

Well I am using CS5. Also the only reason that I'm not sure its the hardware is b/c it wasn't happening at all before (same computer, video card, same PS, same everything). I will try updating video drivers and direct-x though... if you could tell me how lol

EDIT
also what does that GPU thing even mean? I mean will it even affect my photos or processing?

EDIT
also what does that GPU thing even mean? I mean will it even affect my photos or processing?

It just makes Photoshop a little more visually pleasing to use.. things like zooming in appear to happen much more smoothly and fluidly. I like the effect but it's not necessary by any means.

As far as not knowing how to update your video card drivers, I'd visit the manufacturer's website.

ahhh ic... well I'm prob just not gonna worry about it then. thanks! lol

GPU stands for: Graphics Processing Unit.

It is a computer on your video card. The more memory it has the better.

Starting with CS4 Photoshop uses the GPU for some of it's processing if Photoshop is configured by you to do so.

With Photoshop open - click on Edit > Preferences> Performance and in the dialog box is a section labeled "GPU Settings". If you don't know what "Enable Open GL Drawing" means by the check box, it's time to hit Google and visit Adobe to find out.

Hey... this is happening kind of suddenly and I do not understand why. This didn't even happen earlier today but is now happening with every photo I open in photoshop and I don't even understand what it means. When I open photoshop I get this message...

Photosohp has encountered a problem with the display driver, and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements. Check the video card manufacturer's website for the latest software.
GPU enhancements can be enabled in the performance panel of Preferences.

The first time it happened was when I opened an NEF file for the first time in PS. Now it happens with both NEF and JPEG files... what does this mean??

Its likely a corrupted video driver. Or a video driver that is not totally compatible with your particular softweare...

Try updating the driver that your system uses. This is VERY Ddependant on the hardware and Operating System you are running so be sure you use the right one.

There are likely different "versions" available from your manufacturer (ATI/AMD, nVidea, Intel and so on) and they will be compatible according to the OS you are running (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac... and so on).

Most reactions

Back