Sony A200 , total newbie here . . .

LokoTripper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey whaasup you guys . . .

Just got my Sony A200 (for $249.99 plus tax , clearance price from Target)

Anywho , I am a biker so I go out on rides (day time) and we go out to a lot of bars a lot , I do not have the money right now to invest on lens and all that stuff , all I have bought (suggestion from the guys here in the forum) is an 8gb compact flash card (150X) , a 67" monopod , a grip strap , and a case for my camera

1.- Ok so Like I mentioned before I would love to take some night shots at the bars we go to , what are the best settings for night shots at a bar (with moderate lightning) ??

2.- What are the best settings for those day time rides , I will be taking shots for when we stop to chillax or to take a break from those 7 or 8 hours rides ;) so we all be sitting down , or probably group posing

3.- What are the best settings for taking pictures at night with nothing but street lights ??

4.- And last but not least , I do sell some stuff (mostly phones and bike parts) on the internet , and I love to post some close up pics of the items I sell , I noticed that I can get better macro shots with my Canon powershot SD630 (6.0 mpx) than with my brand new Sony A200 , what gives ??

5.- What do I need to take good macro shots ??

Thanks you guys and sorry for the long and boring post :blushing:

1.- Ok so Like I mentioned before I would love to take some night shots at the bars we go to , what are the best settings for night shots at a bar (with moderate lightning) ??

The answer to this is a bit convoluted because really this changes so drastically place to place. You're going to need your aperture to be open all the way, with a high ISO and low shutter speed. If you don't know what these terms mean a nice starting place would be:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ery/167288-camera-terms-acronyms-dummies.html

The problem is you are facing very little light, most likely without a flash. So to maximize the amount of light coming in you need to allow your aperture to be wide open, aka a small number. Your ISO increases your camera's sensitivity to light so the higher the number the more sensitive. The problem is this comes at a cost, it introduces a lot of noise. Finally the slow shutter speed (1/40th being low) will allow the shutter to close slower to let more light in, this will introduce blur however so try to keep action to a minimal.

2.- What are the best settings for those day time rides , I will be taking shots for when we stop to chillax or to take a break from those 7 or 8 hours rides ;) so we all be sitting down , or probably group posing

Day time rides are the exact opposite, you will want a higher number aperture, with a very low ISO (low as it goes), and a quicker shutter speed.

3.- What are the best settings for taking pictures at night with nothing but street lights ??

See #1

4.- And last but not least , I do sell some stuff (mostly phones and bike parts) on the internet , and I love to post some close up pics of the items I sell , I noticed that I can get better macro shots with my Canon powershot SD630 (6.0 mpx) than with my brand new Sony A200 , what gives ??

Most likely your sony does not have a macro lens, where as the Canon poweshots do, granted a chincy one but they still have one. This means that you can not focus closely with your sony where as the Canon can. (Just assuming, I haven't looked up your camera)

5.- What do I need to take good macro shots ??

A macro lens. Going to a site like B&H Photography will allow you to glance around at the lenses available for your camera quickly, then just hop over to ebay to find a cheaper one.

Hope this helps you out a little bit.

When shooting low light, take multiple photos. It's not like you're wasting film. :) Often the first shot is motion blured and the second one is pretty good, at least for me.

Auto might be ok, especially if you have different priority settings... hard to tell, since it varies greatly depending on amount of light and subject matter.

Best thing to do is practice around the house in low light situations and see what settings you need. It will only cost you some time.

Another Quick question . . .

My friend just told me that since I ordered my Monopod (this is the one I ordered : LINK) I do not need the one hand grip anymore (which I also ordered , this is the grip I ordered : LINK)

Is this true ?? is that brand any good (Opteka) ?? is it true that a monopod is easier to use and more convenient than a tripod ??

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd keep both... you're not always going to want to use the monopod.

Monopod is good when you're using slower shutter speeds, but want to be mobile.

Being somebody that travels by bike, I think a monopod is a better idea than a tripod. Others may disagree.

I'm thinking about getting a grip strap myself, if only because wearing my camera around my neck makes me look 100% tourist.

I'd keep both... you're not always going to want to use the monopod.

Monopod is good when you're using slower shutter speeds, but want to be mobile.
Hmnnn So it will not work if I use the Auto mode (I just bought my camera , and it has been only 3 days since I got it , so I do not know any settings , and Auto is all I am using now)

Being somebody that travels by bike, I think a monopod is a better idea than a tripod. Others may disagree.

I'm thinking about getting a grip strap myself, if only because wearing my camera around my neck makes me look 100% tourist.
That is exactly what he told me , so you agree with the comment that a hand grip is quite comfortable for picture taking ??

I will be using the monopod for when we are on a party , when we out for a ride and resting , or while at our club house , no moving objects , although I will love to take pics of my buddies when they pass riding , can I do that with a monopod ?? I mean will it help my pics ?? what setting should I use if I just stay in sidewalk and take pics of them going by ??

p.s. I will only be using the included lens , which are 18-70

Auto mode is going to most likely favor higher shutter speeds, so a monopod won't be that important... if you're just taking pictures to take pictures, don't worry about it. If you want to hone your photography skills, read up and try different things. you'll take a few pictures that won't be keepers, but the good ones will be way better.

and I don't know how much a monopod will help you on panning pictures (ie taking pictures of bikes as they drive by)

If I were you, I would seriously go to the library and take out a few photography books. If you need a fast shutter speed for moving bikes, try the sports mode. The only way to learn the camera is take lots of pictures and look at the data on the picture after you download it. See what works best for you. But you really have to read and practice to learn.

Sorry, can't help you with Macro filters. For my Sony I went with a Sigma 105mm and Kenko extention tubes.

Most reactions

Back