sony a77

gsgary said:
No they won't because the Sony will not track a subject like the 1D

You claimed that it can't but the fact is it can.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1037&message=39659320&changemode=1

You claimed that you have used the a77 but the fact is you haven't
gsgary said:
Best thing about is you can see the noise before you take the shot
The noise that you see in A55 EVF is the result of signal boost so you can still see things in the dark through the EVF. It is not the noise of the image that you are about to take. The performance has vastly improved with a77 OLED EVF.
http://www.firstpost.com/topic/orga...ight-comparison-video-zf-8NYaQ9XQ-9416-1.html
Get your fact straight.

It is pretty obvious that you never touched the a77. It's a shame that you have to use professional level and big sensor cameras to compare to a prosumer level a77 because you know that Canon doesn't have anything in the same level to match the a77.

Last edited:
gsgary said:
No they won't because the Sony will not track a subject like the 1D

You claimed that it can't but the fact is it can.
Continous AF on A77?: Sony SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

You claimed that you have used the a77 but the fact is you haven't
gsgary said:
Best thing about is you can see the noise before you take the shot
The noise that you see in A55 EVF is the result of signal boost so you can still see things in the dark through the EVF. It is not the noise of the image that you are about to take. The performance has vastly improved with a77 OLED EVF.
Nikon D7000 vs. Sony A77 - OVF vs. EVF low-light comparison, AF speed test - Nikon Videos : Firstpost Topic
Get your fact straight.

It is pretty obvious that you never touched the a77. It's a shame that you have to use professional level and big sensor cameras to compare to a prosumer level a77 because you know that Canon doesn't have anything in the same level to match the a77.

I've AF tracked birds with my 60D, though. Relative to where a person is, a bird is not perceived as moving very quickly. I think what he means by 1D focus is things like sports, basketball etc.... different subjects moving at different velocities in different directions. Technically any modern DSLR can take any kind of photo. You could take an amazing sports photo with an entry-level Canon, Nikon, or pentax. It's just the fact that some are more attuned to certain environments. I mean, it has the same amount of autofocus points that a Canon 7D has, so I assume that it's THAT good at AF-tracking at least. But saying that it compares to cameras that are built specifically for AF tracking with 45+ AF points is kind of baseless.

I think he was being facetious when saying that you can see the noise before the photo is taken. He was just poking at the gain that you get from the EVF. I'm sure that the EVF is vastly improved over the one that was in my parents' Kodak camera (Oh God.....), but I would think that for a photographer who wants to know almost exactly how he wants his photo to turn out, I could see the gain as being misleading. That's one reason why I don't use live view in dark areas. It's annoying misrepresentation of colors in dark areas is....well....annoying.

The being said, I'm biased against Sony cameras in general, because the newspaper I used to work for used one of the first 10 MP DSLRs that Sony produced, and it was pitiful. PITIFUL. It also had that annoying autofocus thing where it would begin focusing when you put your eye up to the viewfinder. And it would never lock focus. Ever.

I think the truth is that the a77 has its uses, the 1D has its uses, and neither one can replace each other in their respective niches. Now, if they combine the two, then it'd be pretty awesome. Especially if it costs less than the 1D X ;)

gsgary said:
Then why am i not buying a Sony A77, because i don't like or want one it will not do what i want

Nobody is telling you to buy the a77. Why would you even think of buying one? You already own a lot of expensive lenses for Canon. But a photographer with same skills will do better with the a77 than you did with your cameras. The credit will be given to your expensive good lenses and skills. Your camera? Well, they are good but a lot of camera will do much better like the a77, or Nikons. Remember, Canon sensor is already behind Sony. :)

You know argieramos, here's how I KNOW what the BEST sports/action cameras are...I take my binoculars and scan down the sidelines and end-lines at the football games I go to, and SEE what the top shooters are using. And you know, it's kind of odd because I see the same things this year as I did the prior year... I see these big, ugly, black Canon 1D-series bodies with their ugly white 300/2.8 and 400/2.8 lenses on monopods, and a small second lens on a neckstrap body (24-70 usually) OR, I see these big, beautiful Nikon D3-series bodies and 300/2.8 or 400/2.8 lenses on monopods, and at day games, the occasional 200-400 VR Nikkor, and then day OR night, a second neckstrap body with a 24-70 on it. I mean, it's as if all the sports shooters on the West Coast of the USA use those crappy Canon and Nikon bodies and lenses...

Why do they DO that!!! Why do all those guys (and a few gals too!) shoot that awful Canon and Nikon junk? I'm not telling you to buy a Nikon or Canon--you already have the Sony a77 system at your disposal. My wife's two grown cousins all shoot Minolta/Sony lenses and digital SLRs. I have been VERY impressed with the build quality of their pro-capable 85mm and their 70-200/2.8 lenses...very nice feel, handling, etc,etc. First-rate, really.

rexbobcat said:
I've AF tracked birds with my 60D, though. Relative to where a person is, a bird is not perceived as moving very quickly. I think what he means by 1D focus is things like sports, basketball etc.... different subjects moving at different velocities in different directions. Technically any modern DSLR can take any kind of photo. You could take an amazing sports photo with an entry-level Canon, Nikon, or pentax. It's just the fact that some are more attuned to certain environments. I mean, it has the same amount of autofocus points that a Canon 7D has, so I assume that it's THAT good at AF-tracking at least. But saying that it compares to cameras that are built specifically for AF tracking with 45+ AF points is kind of baseless.

I think he was being facetious when saying that you can see the noise before the photo is taken. He was just poking at the gain that you get from the EVF. I'm sure that the EVF is vastly improved over the one that was in my parents' Kodak camera (Oh God.....), but I would think that for a photographer who wants to know almost exactly how he wants his photo to turn out, I could see the gain as being misleading. That's one reason why I don't use live view in dark areas. It's annoying misrepresentation of colors in dark areas is....well....annoying.

The being said, I'm biased against Sony cameras in general, because the newspaper I used to work for used one of the first 10 MP DSLRs that Sony produced, and it was pitiful. PITIFUL. It also had that annoying autofocus thing where it would begin focusing when you put your eye up to the viewfinder. And it would never lock focus. Ever.

I think the truth is that the a77 has its uses, the 1D has its uses, and neither one can replace each other in their respective niches. Now, if they combine the two, then it'd be pretty awesome. Especially if it costs less than the 1D X ;)

You know that annoying AF thing that begin focusing at the moment that you put your eye up to the viewfinder ("eye-start") can be disabled, right? Or you didn't know that. It's actually disabled by default settings.
What Sony 10mp camera are you talking about that couldn't lock the focus? The a100 doesn't have a problem doing that very simple task. You weren't using it right thats for sure. Like you said, you're biased against Sony. I should not expect something decent statement from you. I can't believe they hired someone like you, no offense buddy.
I agree with you that any DSLR can take any kind of photo, with the right lens. I was just showing Gary that his claim about inability of the a77 to shoot a fast moving subject is wrong.
One last thing. Do not compare the Canon LV to Sony. Out of the big 3, Sony LV is unmatched

Last edited:
Derrel said:
You know argieramos, here's how I KNOW what the BEST sports/action cameras are...I take my binoculars and scan down the sidelines and end-lines at the football games I go to, and SEE what the top shooters are using. And you know, it's kind of odd because I see the same things this year as I did the prior year... I see these big, ugly, black Canon 1D-series bodies with their ugly white 300/2.8 and 400/2.8 lenses on monopods, and a small second lens on a neckstrap body (24-70 usually) OR, I see these big, beautiful Nikon D3-series bodies and 300/2.8 or 400/2.8 lenses on monopods, and at day games, the occasional 200-400 VR Nikkor, and then day OR night, a second neckstrap body with a 24-70 on it. I mean, it's as if all the sports shooters on the West Coast of the USA use those crappy Canon and Nikon bodies and lenses...

Why do they DO that!!! Why do all those guys (and a few gals too!) shoot that awful Canon and Nikon junk? I'm not telling you to buy a Nikon or Canon--you already have the Sony a77 system at your disposal. My wife's two grown cousins all shoot Minolta/Sony lenses and digital SLRs. I have been VERY impressed with the build quality of their pro-capable 85mm and their 70-200/2.8 lenses...very nice feel, handling, etc,etc. First-rate, really.

The best sports/action cameras are in the hands of best sports/action shooters. Cameras are only as good as the Photographers. You can use the 1DX or D4, but if you're a moron, it will take you nowhere.
I don't have an a77. I rented one from Borrowlens last month to try out. I am an alpha shooter and my wife has the red d3100 (my wife, so it's mine too lol), you can also consider me as a Nikon user :)
I wanted to shoot with Canon before, glad I didn't. I don't want to end up being a troll like Tyler, Howard, and Gary lol....

Derrel said:

The best sports/action cameras are in the hands of best sports/action shooters. Cameras are only as good as the Photographers. You can use the 1DX or D4, but if you're a moron, it will take you nowhere.
I don't have an a77. I rented one from Borrowlens last month to try out. I am an alpha shooter and my wife has the red d3100 (my wife, so it's mine too lol), you can also consider me as a Nikon user :)
I wanted to shoot with Canon before, glad I didn't. I don't want to end up being a troll like Tyler, Howard, and Gary lol....

So you know **** all about the A77, i have just read another review where the only thing that the Sony beat the 7D was resolition but only in good light

I'm glad I put Argie on my ignore list. Gary, and Derrel, you should do the same.

You'll feel much more intellectually enlightened when you don't have to read the stupidity that somehow makes it from Argie's brain, down to his fingers, and onto the keyboard. It's an amazing feat for the thought process to make it that far. Almost as amazing as how bad the A77 is in low light.

I'm glad I put Argie on my ignore list. Gary, and Derrel, you should do the same.

You'll feel much more intellectually enlightened when you don't have to read the stupidity that somehow makes it from Argie's brain, down to his fingers, and onto the keyboard. It's an amazing feat for the thought process to make it that far. Almost as amazing as how bad the A77 is in low light.

I though he owned an A77 turns out he only had it for a short while and think's he knows everything about it, probably never even tried to track a moving object or shoot a concert in very low light, what a joke

o hey tyler said:

It is really funny how you keep saying a77 is bad in low light considering none of Canon APS-C match the a77 in IQ. a77 IQ in ISO1600 has better IQ than the Canon 7D in ISO100 according to popphoto lab test. It is also faster. 7D low light performance is not great too specially next to the a580. Even the NEX C3 has better IQ and low noise in high ISO than the 7D. Admit it, Canon cameras are bad nyehehehe

gsgary said:
I though he owned an A77 turns out he only had it for a short while and think's he knows everything about it, probably never even tried to track a moving object or shoot a concert in very low light, what a joke

I had it for a week. I can do better judgement than you who lay about using the a77. How do you get the memory card off the a77? Pull it? Or is there a switch? You dont know anything lol.

It is really funny how these so callled professionals struggle debating with me. Nyehehehe lol

Who's the troll? You're the one trying to continue a baseless argument. BTW, I shoot Canon AND Nikon. I'm not the 'fanboy' that you ignorantly claim and continuously portray yourself as. I don't shoot Sony because I have no desire to. I don't like their business practices, I'm not keen on an EVF and don't need live view phase detect AF since I didn't buy a video camera. They also have a limited set of lenses to choose from, of which Canon and Nikon has them covered in every single way. And the crazy thing is I don't have to buy proprietary flash units and adapters to make use of STANDARD OCF among other things.

gsgary said:
So you know **** all about the A77, i have just read another review where the only thing that the Sony beat the 7D was resolition but only in good light

Where is the review? lol

Check these.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/238565/sony_alpha_a77_is_about_to_beat_dslrs_at_their_own_game.html
http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/09/lab-test-sony-a77-new-king-aps-c-dslrs
You see how the similar level camera from Canon destroyed by the a77. lol

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
The a77 destroyed Professional Level cameras of Canon in Image Quality. Cameras that use much bigger sensor and much more expensive.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pu...kes-the-lead/SNR-K5-D7000-and-A580-at-the-top
D7000, a580, K-5 are the top APS-C DSLR in terms of IQ and Low light performance. Where is the Canon? lol

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Sony_Alpha_NEX-3
http://www.resensor.com/2011/07/nex-3-vs-7d-who-will-win/
NEX-3 ---> Better image quality, more Dynamic Range than the 60D and 7D. OUCH! :)

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_IV-vs-Sony-NEX-7
1D Mark IV
-Lower noise at high ISO -->1,320 ISO vs 1,016 ISO
"The EOS-1D Mark IV has a slight edge (0.4 f-stops) in low noise, high ISO performance" ( cool :) )
NEX-7
-Much higher true resolution -->24 MP vs 16 MP
"Capture more than 50% more detail in your photos"
-Better image quality --> 81.0 vs 74.0
"Around 10% better image quality"
-More dynamic range --> 13.4 EV vs 12 EV
"0.6 f-stops more dynamic range"
-Better color depth --> 24.1 bits vs 22.8 bits
"Distinguishes 1.3 more bits of color"

Now, before you diss the other brand, make sure yours is actually have something good. :D

Last edited:
mjhoward said:
Who's the troll? You're the one trying to continue a baseless argument. BTW, I shoot Canon AND Nikon. I'm not the 'fanboy' that you ignorantly claim and continuously portray yourself as. I don't shoot Sony because I have no desire to. I don't like their business practices, I'm not keen on an EVF and don't need live view phase detect AF since I didn't buy a video camera. They also have a limited set of lenses to choose from, of which Canon and Nikon has them covered in every single way. And the crazy thing is I don't have to buy proprietary flash units and adapters to make use of STANDARD OCF among other things.

Do you have an idea of what's going on here? It is not me keeps attacking in this thread. You have made some false claim, that's how a fanboy is.. Deny it all you want, you're still a fanboy lol. If you have no desire of shooting with Sony, I don't give a damn. I have no desire to shoot with Canon because of their inferior lenses quality and inferior sensors. Sure Canon and Nikon have more lenses. But Sony doesn't create multiple version of certain lenses. Sony have good range of lenses and third parties cover those that Sony is lacking. You can only brag about the fact that those are third party lenses. Oh, speaking of lenses, most Canon lenses are rated below Nikon and Sony "G" and CZ lenses. Tsk! lol

Last edited:
belial said:
Ignoring argi as well. Reading his posts kills too many brain cells

Another butthurt Canon troll who can't accept the fact. I guess I am too much for them lol

Most reactions

Back