Sony A7R: Potential Gamechanger?

I am gathering that all the issues with the blurred images are a7r only because of the double clicking shutter but not a problem with the a7.

The shutter sound and being to loud or annoying is relative, to me its not that loud its not that much louder than the D7100 unless you need to shoot in a church or library I don't see this being a deal breaker on not to get the camera.

Focusing to me is pretty damn fast, but I don't have all those other cameras to compare to either and the EYE AF is pretty dead on with quick response time.

The feel of the body is also relative. IF you are looking for this camera to fill like a D800 huge hunk of metal, then you will be very disappointed. IF you are tired of having a huge FF camera that is heavier than a new born baby then yes this feels quite good in the hand. It does have some weight on it. I would say hold the NEX 6 and shoot with it then hold the a7 or a7r and shoot with it and you will notice and hopefully appreciate the build quality over the NEX 6....but yes its not a D800 or canon FF camera...its different exactly whats is was made for.

I can only speak for myself and say that after reviewing all the good and bad info out there I had to test it out myself and so far my personal opinion that will not weigh much in the professional world is that this camera kicks a$$. image quality to me is top notch. I think the NEX 6 had a better look to the metal like the texture like you see on the nikons and I wish they would have left that same texture on the A7 but eehhhh oh well.

there are many pros and cons and that write up is one mans opinion if you look how many bad reviews vs good reviews I think the good out weighs the bad and one thing for sure that on the internet usally 90% of the time when it comes to reviews and feed back is that you more people will take the time to write anything wrong that they don't like about a product while the other bunch are busy using the product they bought and love...just saying.

Food for thought blur issue that some folks are having...maybe just maybe its because the lenses are on with adapters rather than directly to the camera could this have any impact??? check out this video and see how freemen sharp this guys photos are with sony lens

Look at :47 and after he is using a long sony g lens and the sony adapter and his shots are tack sharp...

PS......I wanted to add that those that are experiencing problems with blur on some of those reviews, They used a wood block or weight and it fixed that issue but this is also interesting that the battery grip with two batteries also fixes that same problem and its more noticeable at 1/100sec...If a simple weight under the camera solves this problem, than its a weight balance issue, not a camera issue.

I would rather have the grip than a block of wood because it would serve two purposes. Something that I would want to get anyways for shooting portraits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on making up your own mind, vipgraphx. And thank you for sharing your first-hand experience with the camera.

Happy New Year!

Bill

One thing about new tech is that it is new tech. We may have to choose our style of shooting with a camera like this. Having it for about a day now I really have not been able to really test it with Christmas and all. I am having to learn how to make adjustments and what not so I can't really chime in on what those lens reviews that darrel has supplied links to. I think that all across the internet there pixel peepers and it gets sooo crazy how everyone wants things so so sooooooo perfect. When the D800 came out there was so much talk about that and how you would have to upgrade computer and lenses and the files sizes the list goes on and on. Now folks love that same camera and nothing has changed. They have just learned how to use that camera. This new A7 and A7r has different techknowledgey and like I said we may have to change things a bit.. Perhaps these lenses camera are to light and cause camera shake I will admit that when using the NEX 6 and doing the braketing that Shot one was clear, shot 2 was a little blurry and shot three was even more blurry even when using the timer. So if this new Sony A7 does the same then yes this could be a huge problem for someone like me who shoots HDR or actually anyone. I will start testing more in depth tonight/ tomorrow compared to the D7100 and see where we are at from my point of view. I will admit I have had some problems thus far trying to figure things out and am hoping its a learning curve because this camera really does have some very very cool features but, what are features if image quality sucks!
This might be a dumb question, but on the HDR shot you used a self timer for, did you turn off steady shot? I posted a few weeks ago about some AWEFUL "phantom camera shake" and that fixed the problem! Crystal clear shots after that. You probably already knew that, but I didn't, I guess I missed it in the manual.

On the HDR shot I did , mini did not take off steady shot. I remember reading your post about it but, it slipped my mind.
Doesn't seem to have effected anything in that shot being turned on.

It's a very nice looking camera it is causing a bit of a storm on the Leica forum, my friend is thinking of keeping his M9 and getting the Sony because lost of Leica lenses will fit with an adapter

yeah but its cheaper than buying a whole new lens....plus if you have other canon lenses you can use this adapter on those...

My friend at the club ha just ordered the 55mm for her A7R i think she has a Pentax adapter for it

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

They make adapters for canon and nikon lenses too.

They make dozens of adaptors. Thats why I couldnt understand why everybody was getting all puffy about the lens offerings. You can use a sea of awesome glass on this thing. E-mount is a perfect options for many classic lens that are smaller then modern mount sizes.

You should see an image on another forum it looks wonderful with the greatest 50mm on the market, someone has used a Leica 50mm Noctilux F0.95

Most reactions

Back