Sony a7s vs a7r

For my needs, the a7r would be the choice. For your needs, as described, the a7s seems more logical. But skip the kit lens, if possible, and get a Better lens. The lenses options for the Sony É-mount is a problem, be aware.

hello all,
I have just sold my canon kit for Sony. I always wanted a full frame camera but smaller in size... And these Sony cameras are just the kind of stuff I always wanted. Now I shoot plenty of family pic, general get together group shots , everyday snaps etc... Nothing professional .. However I do shoot raw and then save them in my computer for memories (don't print). Many would say a normal digital camera is enough for me , but I used to be a wedding photographer once and all the high end gears have spoilt me... However I always pixel peep at 100% before saving my photos. Also most of my shots are taken in restaurants or night party or dark lit rooms therefore high ISO is number 1 on my list. I have zero interest in video.
Now for the kit... I have enough to money to either buy
Sony a7s with 28-70 kit lens. Or
Sony a7r with kit lens and 55mm f1.8
Which one of these would you buy ?
Thanks
Based on your requirements, the A7S w/ 28-70mm would work well. It would give you low light images and video.

bwa

Thanks for all the input.
i just went with the A7s along with the 28-70 kit lens and 55mm F1.8. I have noticed that the Camera has a very high maximum ISO but it is not actually usable. 10,000 ... 20,000 and less than 40,000 iso images are noisy but the good thing is that it still retians soo much details . anything above 40,000 is not usable.

For what you do, the A7r seems like huge overkill. However, if ultimate IQ is your goal, no matter what your reason, then A7r it is. I recently picked up an a6000 and so far I am quite happy with it and I know you will like the size and weight of any of the A7 models. Down side to the Sony cameras right now is the overall weakness of their system of lenses and supporting accessories which would definitely hinder a pro but not really an amateur. I personally think the plain 24MP A7 or 36MP A7r with a Ziess 24-70 f/4 would have the combination of high resolution and top quality optics to best satisfy your needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back