Sony announced new A7 R II

One obviously doesnt absolutely need an OVF on a mirrorless camera. Its far less general than an EVF, it only works in a certain focal range in the first place and it displays far less information, too. Saying a mirrorless camera at a certain price needs an OVF is the same as saying a car needs, I dunno, six wheels from a certain price point on. Its simply not true.

And 24 Megapixel is a completely arbritary choice. On a full frame sensor, I would argue that 12 Megapixels would be the most natural choice. Gives you plenty room before you hit diffraction, keeps the demands to the optics to still manageable amounts, and is plenty for most applications.

[...] Tony Northrop claims [...]
More importantly: who still cares what that guy says ?

There are some video reviews up now. One goes on and on about the lack of a touchscreen. I don't understand the obsession with touchscreen. It's a great way of accidentally selecting something you didn't intend to...

One obviously doesnt absolutely need an OVF on a mirrorless camera. Its far less general than an EVF, it only works in a certain focal range in the first place and it displays far less information, too. Saying a mirrorless camera at a certain price needs an OVF is the same as saying a car needs, I dunno, six wheels from a certain price point on. Its simply not true.

And 24 Megapixel is a completely arbritary choice. On a full frame sensor, I would argue that 12 Megapixels would be the most natural choice. Gives you plenty room before you hit diffraction, keeps the demands to the optics to still manageable amounts, and is plenty for most applications.

Yes, to get an OVF you'll need either a complex system of prisms or a mirror like in a dslr to reflect the light path to the VF. At this point it wouldn't be a mirrorless camera anymore. I know OVF vs EVF is a matter of preference but you shouldn't rule out EVFs completely. They've come a long way and from initial reviews the new EVF on the A7r2 is a huge improvement with an increased magnification to .78x and Zeiss *T coating.

There are some video reviews up now. One goes on and on about the lack of a touchscreen. I don't understand the obsession with touchscreen. It's a great way of accidentally selecting something you didn't intend to...

Unless you shoot a lot with a tripod or at arms length I don't really get the obsession too. How do you select your focus point when the camera is right up to your face when you look through the EVF?

Yes, to get an OVF you'll need either a complex system of prisms or a mirror like in a dslr to reflect the light path to the VF. At this point it wouldn't be a mirrorless camera anymore. I know OVF vs EVF is a matter of preference but you shouldn't rule out EVFs completely. They've come a long way and from initial reviews the new EVF on the A7r2 is a huge improvement with an increased magnification to .78x and Zeiss *T coating.

Unless you shoot a lot with a tripod or at arms length I don't really get the obsession too. How do you select your focus point when the camera is right up to your face when you look through the EVF?

Also your finger will take up more space than the actual focus point so how accurate is the touch in any case?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back