Sony dSLR vs. Canon?

Sure... Depends who you get it from of course.

Won't quality suffer from the impact of falling off the truck?

Though it's rarely a convinicng argument for me, consider the difference in new and used; buy used from you neighborhood crack-meth-and-used-electronics dealer, and when it dies a week later you're hosed. Buy the new Sony and if it dies in a week, you send it in for warranty service.

As for the lens compatibility, all my Minolta lenses work fine with my a200. AF is as fast as with my 8000i, though in the case of my Sigma 70-300 that can still be a bit slow. I had a little trouble getting my 5200i flash to cooperate in Auto, but since I don't use it in Auto a lot, that may just be a combination of their lack of documentation and my lack of incentive to fiddle with it yet.

I haven't really done much high-ISO work with the a200 yet, but I'll see what I can come up with.

EDITED TO ADD:
Here's an image at ISO3200 and a 100% crop from it. Sorry for the small size, but I'm on the laptop with a slow connection. I was going to get the same at ISO100 to compare, but IS can't keep up with 1/3s @ 130mm to get anything remotely clear. (unedited except scaling of the first and cropping of the second)

Last edited:
Won't quality suffer from the impact of falling off the truck?

Though it's rarely a convinicng argument for me, consider the difference in new and used; buy used from you neighborhood crack-meth-and-used-electronics dealer, and when it dies a week later you're hosed. Buy the new Sony and if it dies in a week, you send it in for warranty service.

As for the lens compatibility, all my Minolta lenses work fine with my a200. AF is as fast as with my 8000i, though in the case of my Sigma 70-300 that can still be a bit slow. I had a little trouble getting my 5200i flash to cooperate in Auto, but since I don't use it in Auto a lot, that may just be a combination of their lack of documentation and my lack of incentive to fiddle with it yet.

I haven't really done much high-ISO work with the a200 yet, but I'll see what I can come up with.

EDITED TO ADD:
Here's an image at ISO3200 and a 100% crop from it. Sorry for the small size, but I'm on the laptop with a slow connection. I was going to get the same at ISO100 to compare, but IS can't keep up with 1/3s @ 130mm to get anything remotely clear. (unedited except scaling of the first and cropping of the second)

Wow, it's like that where you live? Here you get a 1 year warrantee: 3 months return - no questions asked. And the other 9 months is an exchange or repair policy. For $15 extra you get full return rights against theft, lightning, explosive diarrhea, or anything else that would separate you from your camera.

But I agree of course. New is better than used. I buy most all of my P&S cameras used but dSLRs - all new. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back