Sony's New Alpha 350

skieur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
At the latest PMA show Sony announced a new Alpha 350 camera to come out in March or April. The interesting part is that it is under $1,000 and has 14.2 megapixels. The important part will be how well picture noise is handled at high ISOs.

skieur

I have a feeling it won't handle high ISOs all that well. I mean, the more MPs you jam on a smaller sensor, the more prone it is to noise, or at least that's what I've been told on numerous occasions.

The noise argument is mostly a remnant from the reputation of the A100 sensor. So far, the A350 seems to handle high ISOs much better.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26662
^comparisons between all Sony models at various ISO levels

I think it's going to be a pretty nice body. Might consider an upgrade (to the A300 or A350) later this year. The way they implemented Live View is pretty cool, too. I know a lot of purists don't like the idea, but it doesn't hurt IQ and can be physically disabled if need be. I take a lot of pictures of dogs, so I like the idea of flipping the screen up when I'm down low.

I have a feeling it won't handle high ISOs all that well. I mean, the more MPs you jam on a smaller sensor, the more prone it is to noise, or at least that's what I've been told on numerous occasions.

Noise reduction caught up.

That's why the D300 has cleaner images than a D200, despite having more photosites.

Mmmmmhmmmm!

I read they poked super-small holes into the sensor or something to make it more sensitive to light and reduce noise or something. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE I SAW THAT!!

Argh. Oh well. I like the kit they're selling on SonyStyle.
DSLR A350 with two zoom lenses: 18-70 and 55-200 for $1099.99.

I'm quite tempted. But a child like me has no money!!

I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL MARCH!

that noise reduction is pretty impressive, The a100 has a CCD sensor in it (a700 has CMOS) and these three new cameras are all CCD, but they seem to have figured out a good way to handle it. The a100 was noisy as sh#t

Most reactions

New Topics

Back