Speed light setup question.

I'm guessing you have inadvertently set something that is effecting your flash synch. The timing between shutter release and flash should be practically simultaneous. Dive into your menu and reset to "Default Setting". This should give you a clean slate to screw up again. :)

OK guys, no doubt I have some option set that is causing my problem. With the SB700 in the camera hot shoe and with P mode, when the shutter button is pressed, there are 3 light pulses from the flash and then the shutter and flash fires. With the pop-up flash, there are no light pulses but it is still a 1001, 1002, 1003 count before the shutter and flash fires. I have to have some setting that controls this but have not been successful in finding it, any suggestions?

that's some timer/delay mode.

reset camera settings. look in your d menu settings.

I dunno. I have the TX and 622s, work well enough for me.

never tried the phottix and at $400 vs. $120, i doubt i ever will.

I agree and no doubt that is the way I will go. My hesitation stems from my experience a few months back with YONGNUO. I had purchased one of their video lights with a remote control which did not work from the beginning. I emailed them about the issue and asked for assistance but they would not even acknowledge my emails. It is not an item that I use often so I have not made a big issue out of it but it is an inconvenience when I do use it. If Phottix was 50% more, I would choose it but 300% more, we are talking real money now.

Rear Curtain Sync
Red-eye reduction mode

Those would be two that could be causing the effect you're describing in delay and the latter would be my guess for the several pulses of light before the main beam.

Cognisys - Capture the Hidden World

You might never have any money again, but check out their stop-shot setup. Also for a more budget friendly approach check out their IR and Laser trip setups that they've now got that don't require the shoptshot primary block (but can combine with it if you want to get more advanced).

A well setup perch could give you what you need for flash lighting of a subject whilst also allowing you to light the area directly to get the shot you want. You can also get really crazy by letting flash be the only contributing light in the exposure and so long as you keep the power on each unit down (lower power = faster flash duration) you can get some really neat open wing shots.

that's some timer/delay mode.

reset camera settings. look in your d menu settings.

I did a reset and checked every thing I could see that pertains to delay or flash and there is still a 2-3 second delay from the time the shutter button is pressed and the operation of the shutter and firing of the flash and this is using the pop-up flash in program mode, auto WB and ISO.

There is a delay between the pre-flash and the main flash when in Commander mode. It is very small, but it is enough to allow a reaction to occur. For instance, one of my daughters always blinks at the preflash, and the only way I can get her eyes open (when shooting flash), is to do it manually (figure out the exposure and flash-power beforehand), then shoot the main flash at the time of shutter press. In your situation, you could be getting the birds reacting to the preflash. As for time delay, I would suggest doing the focusing manually, so that the AF is not involved, as that will eliminate the time lost to the AF acquiring focus.

Rear Curtain Sync
Red-eye reduction mode

Those would be two that could be causing the effect you're describing in delay and the latter would be my guess for the several pulses of light before the main beam.

Thank you much, it is amazing what one can learn reading the book. Your comments about RCS & RER caused me to look it up in the manual and now it works as expected. I inadvertently changed the setting when I was experimenting with the options and not smart enough to read the symbols. Thanks again.

There is a delay between the pre-flash and the main flash when in Commander mode. It is very small, but it is enough to allow a reaction to occur. For instance, one of my daughters always blinks at the preflash, and the only way I can get her eyes open (when shooting flash), is to do it manually (figure out the exposure and flash-power beforehand), then shoot the main flash at the time of shutter press. In your situation, you could be getting the birds reacting to the preflash. As for time delay, I would suggest doing the focusing manually, so that the AF is not involved, as that will eliminate the time lost to the AF acquiring focus.

Thanks, you have made some interesting observations and I will try to keep in mind.

Just tested. Redeye for sure.

using tapatalk.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back