Speedotron vs Fotodiox 22in Beauty Dish

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
please don't give me (too much) jazz over the Booty Dish that I DIY'ed awhile back :biglaugh:

Seriously though the Fotodiox kit is $100 ... is there anything that justifies an extra $230 for the speedo dish?

Both kits come with a sock and a grid ... 50 deg for Fotodiox , 35 for speedo.

Probably the main difference will be the speedring. The Foto unit will use a universal adaptor type of speedring, which, in my experience is never as good as the "real thing"; the one I have slides around, can be a pain to mount, but other than that, the quality of light is wonderful.

Yep, kind of like buying Ford wheels to put on a Chevy. The lug pattern just doesn't always meet up.

I have a Kacey Beauty dish I've owned for a while. I've adapted it to work on Alien Bees, Speedotron, and finally Dynalites. As long as you buy a quality adapter, there shouldn't be an issue.

If you need a genuine Speedotron manufactured accessory mounting collar, it's $20, and is part number 14250, seen on this page. Speedotron Products Accessories
I have one around here in a bag, complete with some mounting screws and washers...I snagged it at PPS for $5 maybe 15 years ago, and at that time thought I might use it for something, but in the intervening years, all these low-cost MIC modifiers have suddenly sprouted like weeds, and it's EASY for these outfits to get the Speedo Universal mount right...not like to so-called Elinchrome-fit beauty dish I bought for my JTL mono...the dish's ring was sooooo far off it took me a night hand-filing away the lug receptacles AND the lugs on the monolight to get the danged dish to fit...three lugs, three lug receptacles around a 360 degree arc? Apparently too much for some Chinese knock-off machinist...but the Universal mount is just TWO lugs, each perfectly opposite the other, one at at 9 and the other at 3 o'clock...hard to eff that simple a thing up, no matter how much of an idiot one is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back