sport photgraphy, fast film?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Rob A, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Rob A

Rob A TPF Noob!

hey guys, im going to the MEN arena tomorow in manchester to see a boxing match, and i was hoping to get a few good black and white photos from it for my portfolio, and maybe next years college project. i was wandering (as iv never been to one before) whats the lighting like? and also what sort of techniques should i use to get a good shot?

i have a olympus OM40 and i will be using a 80-200mm zoom. which film speed should i go for? thanks for any advice!!

thanks guys

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is this an indoor arena? If so, the lighting will probably be poor..it usually is.

You will probably be best off to get very fast film. ISO 1600 or at least 800. You can 'push' the film buy overriding the ISO setting and setting it faster. You have to take this into account when developing it though.

With a boxing match, you will probably want to freeze the action so shutter speed should be 1/125 or faster.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob A

Rob A TPF Noob!

yeh, its indoor. thats a great help!! thanks mate!!

4. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

T-Max 3200 and a 200mm lens...

R

5. chroix

chroix In Latin it's "spikius conius thingonius"

at least 800 (if really dark push it to 1600) and 1/250 on 2.8 is what I've shot for indoor sporting events. if you're using manual focus pick your spot, pre-focus and wait for the action. You will miss more than you get if you try to follow the action and focus at the same time. How far away will you be? Post the pics when you've shot them I'd like to see them...

6. Rob A

Rob A TPF Noob!

im not too far. i duno if you know the MEN arena, but im on the front row of the lower tier. i guess its about 50feet away? maybe less. i will definetly post them when i have them. i will take a couple of different films (800, 1600 and 3200) so i can at least gewt a few good ones!

7. FlashSpeedo

FlashSpeedo TPF Noob!

a monopod is also handy if you have one.