Spring Blossom Shoot

jjphotos

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently went out and took a few pictures featuring some of the crab apple blossoms in the forest nearby.
Just wanted to get some feedback on the the general posing I tried (are the flowers just a needless distraction/overall model pose) and also if the edit I tried out works or seems too process?

I tried cropping it a bit, but couldn't come up with anything better than original so any possible crop suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again guys.

B.jpg

Edit:

DSC.jpg

Last edited:
It seems you've done a pretty fair self-critique. As you suspect, the blossoms used like this add nothing good to the photo. The posing of the hand is awkward. I'm wondering just what is she looking at? If she is not interacting with me, I want to see she's otherwise engaged. And you're right to question your edit, if for no other reason you've lost the subtle separation of your model from the background.

I can't offer any crop suggestions. Maybe if the flowers were lower in the frame (or her higher up). Do a bit of research on posing hands. The lighting scheme is pretty flat, and the shadow from the blossom isn't helping.

I think this one needs "additional photography." (That's my term for a re-shoot.)

Good location, interesting model.

Have fun!
-Pete

It seems you've done a pretty fair self-critique. As you suspect, the blossoms used like this add nothing good to the photo. The posing of the hand is awkward. I'm wondering just what is she looking at? If she is not interacting with me, I want to see she's otherwise engaged. And you're right to question your edit, if for no other reason you've lost the subtle separation of your model from the background.

I can't offer any crop suggestions. Maybe if the flowers were lower in the frame (or her higher up). Do a bit of research on posing hands. The lighting scheme is pretty flat, and the shadow from the blossom isn't helping.

I think this one needs "additional photography." (That's my term for a re-shoot.)

Good location, interesting model.

Have fun!
-Pete
Sorry to steal the post, but I'm trying to get into some portraiture as well and wanted to ask some questions.

What does engaged mean? Is that like performing an action or gesture if they are not looking at the camera?

Also, I also have a problem with flat lighting. How would you go about fixing it in direct sun or cloudy day while outdoors? Would u just relocate to an area with more dynamic lighting choices?

I think the model is male by the way lol

Last edited:
What does engaged mean? Is that like performing an action or gesture if they are not looking at the camera?

What I mean by "engaged" is to be interacting with something or someone else in the image. I feel when the subject is looking directly into the camera, he or she is interacting with the viewer. If the subject is gazing off into another direction, I want to see some reason for doing so.

Also, I also have a problem with flat lighting. How would you go about fixing it in direct sun or cloudy day while outdoors? Would u just relocate to an area with more dynamic lighting choices?

One way to handle poor lighting outdoors is to move the shoot to a location with proper or better lighting. Otherwise, one must find a way to subtract light or add light as necessary.

I think the model is male by the way lol

Ya know... I THOUGHT so, but wasn't certain. Thanks for clearing that up!

-Pete

Most reactions

Back