Spur of the moment photo shoot tomorrow..advice please.

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been talking to my son about having a photo shoot with his motorcycle. This past year he purchased an R6 and I think that's the term young bucks are calling a Yamaha CBR600 crotch rocket these days. He's having to replace the rear tire and I had previously told him one of the shots I thought would be cool is to have a burn out, with tire smoke going mad.

He called me tonight and said that he has tomorrow off from work and will be down for lunch (around 1:00pm) to take the shots. I checked the weather forecast and it will be sunny tomorrow. Few clouds.

I am not confident with action photog and I am asking for advice on settings: aperature, shutter speed, ISO. I have a D80 with a small arsenal and variety of lenses (from 12-300mm focal length - with teleconverter for the 300mm), two external flashes, reflectors and light stands. This will probably be a one-off chance to take these and I would dearly love to make the most of it.

Please, please, please any sound advice will be taken onborad.

He is driving a Yamaha R6 lol.

Sunset...backlit burnout...

YUM!

I'm pumped!

if it were me, i would take any shots other than the burnout first. once the tire is bald or popped, it will show...not to mention that rubber will be all over everything.

also, i wouldn't use any flash mostly because with so many edges that bikes have it will show no matter where you put it.

just be creative...i personally hate posed shots (if you plan to include him) so try your best to get him to look natural.

you may already have all this under control, but i just thought i would add my .02

if it were me, i would take any shots other than the burnout first. once the tire is bald or popped, it will show...not to mention that rubber will be all over everything.

also, i wouldn't use any flash mostly because with so many edges that bikes have it will show no matter where you put it.

just be creative...i personally hate posed shots (if you plan to include him) so try your best to get him to look natural.

you may already have all this under control, but i just thought i would add my .02

Thanks c_mac, but as I stated, he is having to replace the tire which prompts this shoot. My vision is to get in close with a 14mm focal length, 1/60 shutter speed and ISO 100. All you would see is from just in front the front wheel hub to maybe 3-4 feet behind the smoking rear wheel. The rider's left side only.

oh ya definitely get that. i was just saying that if you had any other shots in mind to do those first. tire rubber makes a mess... plus any shots afterwards will show a tire with the chords showing. not exactly something you want to show off.

the burnout shot is without a doubt the main shot to get!

be sure to post up the pics after the shoot. good luck

Most reactions

Back