Stability - making yourself a tripod versus using one

Couple of points:

1) There's actually a circle of positions (half of it underground) where the ropes would be in equal tension.

One rope = sphere of points with equal tension
Two ropes = circle of points
Three ropes (not co-linear) = two points, one of them underground. But you don't have three feet, so this is impractical. Hence only suggesting 2.
Four ropes (no three of them co-linear) = truly a single point solution. Which is why GPS likes to have 4 satellites to be absolutely sure about position.

Basically, one rope should alleviate up/down shake, but not front/back or side/side. Two ropes under each foot would be coming from the sides and thus alleviate up/down AND side/side, but not front/back. Should be a little bit better. Would likely work best with your legs straddled a decent distance apart, at least shoulder width, maybe a little more. But it might not be enough angle in practice to help much, hence being unsure and wanting to test it.

2) Just like with one rope, you should still be able to easily orient the camera around to point at different things, with no significant tension resistance, since it is a rope loosely looped around an eye bolt. Most of my framing and composing fine-tuning is orientation more so than moving the whole camera around, so I think it wouldn't be that bad. Still, gonna go try it out when I get a chance, both ways.

Another slightly more off-the-wall idea is to carry one of those lightweight but super strong magnet hooks, to act as a potential third wire when there are metal hand rails or bleachers or garbage cans nearby =P

Last edited:
............Another slightly more off-the-wall idea is to carry one of those lightweight but super strong magnet hooks, to act as a potential third wire when there are metal hand rails or bleachers or garbage cans nearby =P

DSC_5845.jpg

A woodworking clamp also works:

DSC_5847.jpg

Nice. Either of those with a hook plus a bare male 1/4 20 thread next to each other would allow either a guy wire or direct mounting as desired, for an extra 5 cents.

Glah! I am annoyed that I'm staying at my girlfriend's place this weekend and don't have access to a hardware store to go experiment with all this right now!

Couple of points:

1) There's actually a circle of positions (half of it underground) where the ropes would be in equal tension.

One rope = sphere of points with equal tension
Two ropes = circle of points
Three ropes (not co-linear) = two points, one of them underground. But you don't have three feet, so this is impractical. Hence only suggesting 2.
Four ropes (no three of them co-linear) = truly a single point solution. Which is why GPS likes to have 4 satellites to be absolutely sure about position.

Basically, one rope should alleviate up/down shake, but not front/back or side/side. Two ropes under each foot would be coming from the sides and thus alleviate up/down AND side/side, but not front/back. Should be a little bit better. Would likely work best with your legs straddled a decent distance apart, at least shoulder width, maybe a little more. But it might not be enough angle in practice to help much, hence being unsure and wanting to test it.

2) Just like with one rope, you should still be able to easily orient the camera around to point at different things, with no significant tension resistance, since it is a rope loosely looped around an eye bolt. Most of my framing and composing fine-tuning is orientation more so than moving the whole camera around, so I think it wouldn't be that bad. Still, gonna go try it out when I get a chance, both ways.

At that point, might as well just take a tripod. :)

^ It may be just about as annoying to use as a tripod. But the key difference is that it packs up and fits in your pocket. And it also costs $5, not $50-$500.

I am trying to think of some way that you could attach it to your shoes semi-permanently, to make it easier to use. But it needs to not trip you as you walk around.

Something along the lines of spring-loaded retracting wires, sort of like a tape measure. And then some little cam or lever that stops it from retracting freely when you're ready to take a shot. Thus, the retracting pulls up all of the slack as you move so you don't trip, but still allows tension when you want it.

It would look incredibly dorky, though, and still sounds dangerous.

Derrel - what is "grip release" ?

A grip release is a shutter release button located on a battery or accessory grip, as opposed to a release located on the "body" or top deck of the camera. Grip releases are characterized by very short stroke release actions, and are quite a bit different from the old plunger-style releases that most 35mm SLR and medium format rollfilm cameras used.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but in situations where I have nothing to prop the camera with and need to hold it as still as possible, I use the camera strap in a manner similar to a hunter using a rifle sling. I put the strap over my right shoulder and under my left armpit, and loop my left wrist through it to pull it tight towards me, pushing the camera away with my right hand to form a very stable triangle (see image taken by my lovely assistant). The only wobble I have to contend with that way is by my torso; very little movement is created by my hands in this position.

It seems to me that this position, in conjunction with the rope underfoot (brilliant idea) would be about as stable as you could possibly get using your body as the only solid physical support- in a standing position at least.

$strap hold.jpg

Thanks everyone for their input.
My pictures with a non VR lens is night and day difference from when I first posted this.
:)

There are some very interesting and creative ideas in this thread. Have any of you just set your camera on something environmental, like a beach lounger, or a table, or a raised walkway, or even the ground? I've been known to do this to avoid setting up the tripod since our Velbon takes FOREVER to get just right.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but in situations where I have nothing to prop the camera with and need to hold it as still as possible, I use the camera strap in a manner similar to a hunter using a rifle sling. I put the strap over my right shoulder and under my left armpit, and loop my left wrist through it to pull it tight towards me, pushing the camera away with my right hand to form a very stable triangle (see image taken by my lovely assistant). The only wobble I have to contend with that way is by my torso; very little movement is created by my hands in this position.

It seems to me that this position, in conjunction with the rope underfoot (brilliant idea) would be about as stable as you could possibly get using your body as the only solid physical support- in a standing position at least.

View attachment 53234

Yet, you hold it like a girl. Why are you trying to throw a southpaw slider? Regardless of your words, the photo screeeeeeams.

Always, always, always, use your left hand to support the gear, not add weight. Depending on your lens of choice, your hand position will change from front to back, but the basics do not change. The left hand SUPPORTS THE WEIGHT!

:soapbox:

In case I wasn't specific enough, the left hand cradles from underneath.

I can make a "tripod" (stabilizing device) out of damn near anything. I made one out of two bar coasters once...

There are some very interesting and creative ideas in this thread. Have any of you just set your camera on something environmental, like a beach lounger, or a table, or a raised walkway, or even the ground? I've been known to do this to avoid setting up the tripod since our Velbon takes FOREVER to get just right.

I do that too, but when you are walking around a park and want to catch a cute frog before it jumps away, there's no time to ask the frog to pose. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back