Starter Lens Kit

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TiCoyote, Apr 28, 2009.

1. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Apr 28, 2009
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A little about me:
    Years ago, I shot all over Europe with a 35mm Canon Rebel 2000 with a 35-50 mm Canon cheap-o zoom lens with a cracked collar. But now I mostly do snapshots with a Sony CyberShot.

Last week, my mom was showing me her new Nikon DSLR, and I remembered how much I missed manual shooting.

So my g/f pulled out her Digital Rebel from the closet, handed it to me, and said, "If you know how to use it, have fun."

Mostly I shoot outdoor stuff. I like doing cities and beaches. I usually have the camera in the aperture-priority setting, and I shoot with a wide aperture a lot.

What I have:
    The camera is a Canon Digital Rebel.
    Her lens is the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens
    My lens is the super cheapie canon standard zoom with the cracked collar.

The IS lens is big and heavy and expensive and I'm not shooting in low light, so I don't really need the IS.

The other lens is more comfortable to use, but some of my pics look washed out, so I'm afraid it leaks light.

What I want:
    I want one or two lenses that will cover the 18-300mm zoom range (or some part of it, 28-200 would be fine).
    I want good optics.
    I want something that's durable and not too bulky.
    I'd rather go cheaper so I'll be less afraid of breakage and theft.

Price Range:

I considered:
    Tamron Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Lens for Canon Digital EOS $260

TamronUSA Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-200mm Super Zoom f/3.8-5.6 XR Di Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS $235

Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 and 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Two Lens Kit for Canon EOS $210

Tamron 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 and 55-200mm f/4-5.6 Di-II LD Two Lens Kit for Canon Digital EOS Cameras $160

1. I understand that Tamron makes a good value for money lens, anyone want to debate this?

2. It looks like the lenses with the wider zoom range are higher quality lenses, but I understand that lenses with a wide zoom range yield disappointing results including distortion and lack of adequate light (slow?).

3. Would I be better off with entirely different lenses? Perhaps prime lenses, or one zoom and two primes? I like the flexibility of zooms.

At some point, I'd like to upgrade to the Rebel XSi, because I'd like to shoot in B&W, and I'd like to get more than 4 shots out of a burst. And I think it's a little lighter.

Thank you
  2. CyclonePWR

CyclonePWR TPF Noob!

Dec 25, 2008
    Photos OK to edit
    You should really do B&W conversion in post production using some kind of photoshop software. The XSi does not shot in B&W but just converts it in camera.

I dont get more than 3-4 in burst mode on the XSI while ussing RAW, more like 3 and I use a fast SD card 30mb/sec.