Storage and memory card questions

rjm522

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone:

I have a Nikon D5100 I bought back in 2011 and it has sat in the bag for most of the last two or three years. I want to get back into photography - my youngest playing Lacrosse, family pictures, vacations, nature, etc. The memory card I have in the camera now is a SanDisk Extreme Pro 16GB class 10 SDHC I card....picture below. Is that the latest and greatest card to use? I saw a Lexar 1000x 256GB UHS II card I thought might work. I also looked at a Lexar 2000x 64GB, but don't really know the difference between 2000x and 1000x. I read that the UHS II are backwards compatible to UHS I. Lacrosse is a very fast sport and I don't want the card to limit my already slow buffer in the D5100. I might be able to get 3-5 FPS with the unit. I shoot a lot of pictures at a game so capacity is one item I am looking for.

Where do you all store your pictures? I shoot RAW so the pictures are rather large. I have thought about Dropbox as well as an external hard drive......something like a 4TB drive. My concern with an external drive is that I have had others - smaller than 1TB - in the past and they all fail at some point. I don't want to lose the pictures I am keeping.

Dropbox offers 1TB for $120 a year but a 4TB drive can be purchased for about the same amount.

TIA for the input and information. I don't know why the picture is upside down.....it was taken the correct way and displayed on my computer the correct way. When I added to this post it flipped.

photo.JPG

I should also mention that I subscribe to Photoshop and Lightroom CC. I understand that Lightroom has some kind of storage, although I have not looked into it yet.

Rjm, that memory card is not a bottleneck to your setup. Your max fps is 4 and raw file size probably not over 20 mb. That is 80mb/sec and your card writes 95mb/sec. Factor in your camera's buffer and you could never max out the write speed of that card. You can get a 32gb card with those specs for $10 these days so that would be a cheap upgrade. Don't think you need more than 32gb unless you never clean your cards. Plus buying 3-4 32gb cards is cheaper than one 64 or 128.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spideroak has more privacy than dropbox.

To be safe with external hard drives you really need 2, one to backup the backup and keep it somewhere else.

The other option is to get external hard drive and still back it up in the cloud. that way you still physically have your photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back