storm beach

nikonian2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
LakeWorthBeachwatermark.jpg

It doesn't work. Considering the fact that the coming storm is the main centre of interest there needs to be more visual emphasis and sharpness to the condition of the waves to produce a more dramatic shot.

skieur

Straighten the horizon.

But I think it worked, it feels moody and empty, deserted. It looks like the point of view of someone enjoying the scenery alone, and momentarily looking over her shoulder to see if anyone else is there.

Excellent composition.

Straighten the horizon.

But I think it worked, it feels moody and empty, deserted. It looks like the point of view of someone enjoying the scenery alone, and momentarily looking over her shoulder to see if anyone else is there.

Excellent composition.

Try looking at the shot more closely. The obvious LOW angle of the shot from the camera makes your view total imagination unrelated to the image..unless the "shoulder" belonged to someone 3 feet tall. :D

skieur

Try looking at the shot more closely. The obvious LOW angle of the shot from the camera makes your view total imagination unrelated to the image..unless the "shoulder" belonged to someone 3 feet tall. :D

skieur
Actually the person in question [lets call her the imagined lonely person] should be sitting on the floor like the homeless on the street. Sitting in a bench is too dignified for a depressed mood, I know there are other ways about this, but for this shot it works this way, from a low angle, looking up at the world wishing you could be as happy.

This is why I like the shot, it gives me a feeling accurately, even if it's not intended.

Actually the person in question [lets call her the imagined lonely person] should be sitting on the floor like the homeless on the street. Sitting in a bench is too dignified for a depressed mood, I know there are other ways about this, but for this shot it works this way, from a low angle, looking up at the world wishing you could be as happy.

This is why I like the shot, it gives me a feeling accurately, even if it's not intended.

If a viewer has to STRETCH their personal imagination to "like" a shot, then it is definitely not a good one. A good shot appeals to a majority of viewers, including those with less active imaginations.

skieur

If a viewer has to STRETCH their personal imagination to "like" a shot, then it is definitely not a good one. A good shot appeals to a majority of viewers, including those with less active imaginations.

skieur
Is art ever easy to appreciate? Can you like Beethoven's 9th Symphony immediately after first listen?

skieur
in stead of just saying how bad it is how would you have shot it strate on like every other shot of the beach I see?

Please keep discussions confined to the critique of the image.

There is little point in posting to the Critique Forum if you're going to turn defensive when receiving someone's objective assessment. This is how we learn.

Well since the title is Storm Beach, the challenge is to emphasize the storm. I would have got closer to the waves shot at a similar low angle toward the clouds in the distance. If I wanted to get similar to your idea, I would have considered an empty beach chair for perspective and perhaps a beach towel on it, being blown by the wind. A high ISO would be necessary to stop the wave motion while maintaining depth of field. I would also try to line up the shot for diagonals which create more visual tension than horizontal lines.

skieur

Hmm, agreed, you can't judge the photo by title, it may just be the name of the beach, who says what the main focus is, the viewer can only summize, what you summize isn't "fact".
I think the beach/sea itself is just a bit part in this image, the focus is the foreground and to a lesser extent the sky regardless of the title.
It is short on drama, kinda flat and textureless.
I see a shot here of the contrast between crumbly concrete/surroundings and that almost perfect alum tubed handrail, but the light isn't there either in the sky or foreground for dramatic B/W.
I see why the horizon is wonky, as you look through the viewfinder you compose......you made the horizon fit the handrail, make the chair back vertical to bring the horizon a little closer to flat.
I'll lend you my shovel for the ccd rubble..

I don't mind the angle. What works for me is the beautiful waves, and the clouds.
What doesn't work for me is the crack in the sidewalk and the overall contrast. It lies flat for me, however I think it was an excellent idea.

I like all the elements in this one. Problem is they maybe fighting each other as opposed to working together. Try some different contrast variations and see if that helps.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back