Strange colour cast

Drive-By-Shooter

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have had files disappear (cheap PNY memory card) or be unreadable by the camera after modifying them. but i have one picture that appears to have strange color noise. maybe someone can shed some light, so to speak on this: GEO_0743

I have moved your post to it's own thread since it has a question distinct from that of the OP in the thread in which you posted it.

I see some blue fringes along the white areas of the neck, and a little magenta around the "shoulder" of the duck in the rear. Is this what you are referring to? I think it might be chromatic aberration.

makes sense to move it - thanks.
i came back to my post to clarify that i was referring to the one orange and one green streaks above the left duck's tail.
when i looked at it again, i realized it is not a "ghost in the machine" code, but a bug (dragonfly?) caught in the near field by my flash with a fresnel lens. anyone see another explanation?
snowbear: I do see what appears to be chromatic aberration in the left duck, too.
I sold my 1.4X teleconverter and now use a longer sigma zoom. i should go back to that pond and see if they are there, but may have to wait till spring to shoot and compare.

Last edited:
Appears to me to be OOF debris floating in the water.

As for CA, you've got tons of it in that lens. All the whites are just surrounded by purple fringing.

The orange this looks like debris - carrot, leaf, something along that line. With some time in post, it can be cloned out.

Nice shot, by the way.

yep, sold the 1.7x teleconverter as it deteriorated the pics too much. upgraded to the newer 70-200, too.

i shot a lot underwater around the world (N90s in a $3,000 Tussey housing, now out of business, ugh) and a tiny who-knows-what swimming by would produce something like this. if it was on the water, it would be in focus.
i should go back to raw, reprocess and use corel to clone its elimination. i've avoided lightroom for the learning curve reasons (new to digital). thanks for the cudos on the shot.
Corey Lepp produced the fresnel lens i use for long flash use. unfortunately it too is no longer still being manufactured. shame, it works well to project the flash. here's another example: This was taken today with a Nikon D600, 70-200 f2.8 with 1.7x teleconverter @ 340mm and a Nikon 910 flash with a Tory Lepp tele fresnel lens for the flash.

Last edited:
makes sense to move it - thanks.
i came back to my post to clarify that i was referring to the one orange and one green streaks above the left duck's tail.
when i looked at it again, i realized it is not a "ghost in the machine" code, but a bug (dragonfly?) caught in the near field by my flash with a fresnel lens. anyone see another explanation?
snowbear: I do see what appears to be chromatic aberration in the left duck, too.
I sold my 1.4X teleconverter and now use a longer sigma zoom. i should go back to that pond and see if they are there, but may have to wait till spring to shoot and compare.

My guess is that you are simply the victim of a very small sensor. They will do this from time to time. Nice shot, though. Wood ducks are truly spectacular.

I would not be afraid of Lightroom because of the learning curve. Lightroom also offers automatic chromatic aberration reduction, and very well tuned individual lens profiles for common lenses like your Nikon 70 to 200 Zoom. On some lenses like the Nikkor 35mm f/2 AFD,for example, Lightroom's automatic Distortion correction is simply astounding.

wow - interesting. thanks, fmw & derrel.

i am extremely busy, so little hobby time; still new (2yrs) to digital & almost done mastering nikon nx-d s/w.

p.s. no one ever said i had a small sensor before...
kidding aside, i guess even full frame, 24mp is still small.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back