Strange Dilemma - Black Shadows in my Photos. Help

rxe08

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need help diagnosing a problem I have been having lately with my Nikon F3.

I took this camera to a Unique Photo store and stumped all four guys who came to help.

As you can see in the attached photo, an inconsistent black shadow is appearing in some of my exposures. I have ruled out the camera strap, and after examination, the shutter does not "stick".

This happens without flash, and does happen with multiple lenses.

Help! I don't want to risk ruining any more photos.
Any ideas?

IMG_5112.JPG

I'd say the mirror isn't moving up and out of the way.......... either fast enough or not far enough.

I agree with Sparky ... the shutter is horizontal, so that can't be it ... the mirror moves vertically, and that is the only other thing between the film and the lens.

Thank you. What can I do to fix this problem?

Send it to a repair shop.

When you say some of the photos, is it (for example) the 3 photos you show all directly in a row, or does it happen once every few frames instead? Are you able to show us what the strip of negatives looks like?

When you say some of the photos, is it (for example) the 3 photos you show all directly in a row, or does it happen once every few frames instead? Are you able to show us what the strip of negatives looks like?

It happens randomly. 9 out of 36 were effected on this roll, not all in a row.

Is it possible that the battery needs to be replaced? Or if the mirror isn't moving properly, can it be lubricated?

Yeah, it could be sluggish mirror movement. Or some other part is flopping around.

The F3 shutter travels horizontally so it wouldn't be a sticky shutter but it could be a loose part of the shutter blades flopping around and getting in the way. Or some other loose part.

When you take photos in portrait format (as those in your post above) do you rotate the camera clockwise or counter clockwise? That will tell you if the obstruction is at the top or bottom of the film gate area.

Do you have the negatives to look at? What I'm wondering about is if the light leak shows on the negatives themselves. The issue could be with the camera like Dennis and Sparky were saying, but it could also be a problem that happened when the film was developed or when those prints were made.

Yeah, it could be sluggish mirror movement. Or some other part is flopping around.

The F3 shutter travels horizontally so it wouldn't be a sticky shutter but it could be a loose part of the shutter blades flopping around and getting in the way. Or some other loose part.

When you take photos in portrait format (as those in your post above) do you rotate the camera clockwise or counter clockwise? That will tell you if the obstruction is at the top or bottom of the film gate area.

I rotate clockwise.
Assuming this is sluggish mirror, how do I go about lunricating it? Oil, WD40? Ideally I would like to try and fix this myself before I put my next roll of film in.

Do you have the negatives to look at? What I'm wondering about is if the light leak shows on the negatives themselves. The issue could be with the camera like Dennis and Sparky were saying, but it could also be a problem that happened when the film was developed or when those prints were made.

Light leaks create white splashes on the prints....not black. A light leak will show up black on the negative.

Yes, here's a quick shot of one of the negatives.
I was worried light leak at first, but wouldn't it be the opposite color?

Attachments

• IMG_5113.JPG
    IMG_5113.JPG
    375.3 KB · Views: 179

Light leaks create white splashes on the prints....not black. A light leak will show up black on the negative.

Yep sorry I mis-spoke with the "leak" part, I should have said light interference or something like that. I was thinking that there are multiple ways where the OPs issue can happen, and was mostly wondering about whether it shows on the negatives or just on the prints.

Yes, here's a quick shot of one of the negatives.
I was worried light leak at first, but wouldn't it be the opposite color?

Ya I shouldn't have said light leak sorry about that! My thinking was more about if the problem happened when the prints were made since I've seen something similar to that before (I was a photo printer many years ago). But seeing the neg it does look like a camera issue, so hopefully the guys can help you with that!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back