Stranger on the Subway

Some of your best work IMO.Great Capture.

...one thing I've felt about the stuff you share with us,here,is,I've never felt "Meh"....Quite the opposite,they've always provoked emotion.Keep it up,Dan!

Wow, I love it! Amazing this was a random encounter and not a photoshoot!

I love it! The lighting is moody, wardrobe and location contrast very well.

First off, I love this shot. I've been thinking about it on and off all day trying to decide how I wanted to phrase my reactions to it.

Great subject, really intense mood, interesting character.

However, I don't personally get beauty... I get creepy. If I bumped into this guy in a dark alley I would be REALLY not comfortable being there. I say that just to toss you another reaction that seems to go a bit against the flow. I may be the only one. :)

Something about the crop bugs me a LITTLE. Something tells me you could get away with trimming a bit and bringing us in closer to your subject.

Also... some part of me feels like him facing you dead-on like that may not have been the best pose... except that the in-your-face nature of his posture and positioning also seems to work really well. That makes it pretty perplexing, which is very cool.

Again... really neat. Thanks for sharing.

You need fill flash!

(KIDDING!!!!!!)

Something about the crop bugs me a LITTLE. Something tells me you could get away with trimming a bit and bringing us in closer to your subject

)

I agree, that's why I mentioned possible trimming of the upper part. I am glad I am not the only one here. The guy is a bird with all his feathers etc. and the Underground surroundings are a bit too heavy if I may say so, especially the upper part, I just feel the pressure of the ceiling.. It creates tension, and brings something miserable about this guy. I understand why Dan does not want a central composition, but if cropped a bit, the guy would look more assured, kind of lighter and free from that pressure if you wish. That's how I feel here, sorry my English lets me down probably...
Probably Dan wants some more dramatic touch. He has this "dark", tense side in his work.

I hope you get what I am trying to explain.. But the closer crop does change the mood of this image.

Last edited:
I get you. :)

Yeah, I think it's a matter of "how do you crop while still maintaining the elements you need and want", and I think the picture is VERY fragile in that way.

I really like this. I love how his left foot is almost mid-step accentuating his calf.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments!

I'll be keeping the crop for a number of reasons. One of the things I will comment on is that "light and airy" is certainly not a feeling I wanted to express through this shot. Also, the subway environment is something I wanted captured here, so the room above the head was intentional. Giving a sense of location is necessary to me in this sort of shot, especially since I met him and stopped him for this shot in this location.

Not to say that there aren't valid reasons for other's opinions, but to me a crop would take away from this shot.

However, I don't personally get beauty... I get creepy. If I bumped into this guy in a dark alley I would be REALLY not comfortable being there. I say that just to toss you another reaction that seems to go a bit against the flow. I may be the only one. :)

Something about the crop bugs me a LITTLE. Something tells me you could get away with trimming a bit and bringing us in closer to your subject.

Also... some part of me feels like him facing you dead-on like that may not have been the best pose... except that the in-your-face nature of his posture and positioning also seems to work really well. That makes it pretty perplexing, which is very cool.

Again... really neat. Thanks for sharing.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think having him face the camera shows his clothing better, which was a big part as to why I stopped him for the photo.

You need fill flash!

(KIDDING!!!!!!)

Fill flash is against my religion. :<

Dang, it would have been worth asking him if he had an extra 5 minutes and doing a few more shots using the look and what seems to be great subway lighting for a quick series, a sort of mini impromptu session.

Dang, it would have been worth asking him if he had an extra 5 minutes and doing a few more shots using the look and what seems to be great subway lighting for a quick series, a sort of mini impromptu session.
Both of us were in a hurry. That's just the nature of New York City; you're always busy and on the move, and things need to be planned out.

Most reactions

Back