Strengths and Weaknesses.

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by dpolston, Jan 8, 2008.

1. dpolston

dpolston TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It's funny what inspires me throw some questions to you all... but I was in the shower this afternoon and... a question blossomed! We all (hopefully) know our strengths and weaknesses in photography but what are some of the things you would admit too?

Weakness: I'd have to say my weakness is practical DOF. I get pretty good results sometimes, but more often than I want to admit, it's accidental. I need to practice more. If I need it, I fake it in post. I need to stop that.

Strengths: I think I have a strong ability to shoot a "classic corporate head shot". I haven't done one in a long time, but last night I set up the strobes in my tiny dining room and within 3 shots, I was dialed in. I think I can do them in my sleep.

What's up with you?

2. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Weakness: Lack of artistic sense

Strength: I'll tell you when I find one. (technical probably once I get more used to the camera.

3. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    weaknesses: manual focus, keeping my viewfinder straight, not being able to just lift my camera and shoot strangers when they're looking my way...

strengths: i'm not really sure

4. dpolston

dpolston TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    (That seems strange... over 30 hits and only 2 posts. I guess people are uncomfortable self analyzing themselves.)

5. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Weakness: I suck at keeping up with communication. I have this really bad habit recently of promising things then accidentally forgetting to get back to them. My facebook page is a testimony to this. Every now and then I make announcements "if I haven't gotten back to you when I should have, facebook/email/MSN/yell at me!!!" and it is amazing how many people are suddenly yelling at me ;) (yes this is photographically related. I literally just had another email come in after posting this "haven't heard back from you on..." EEK!)
    But photographically. Probably cropping right in camera.

Strengths: Uhh.. *shrug*

6. Ls3D

Ls3D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Weakness: Remaining calm and undistracted during semi exciting shoots, being bold regarding human subjects and pretty girls. Knowledge about what settings to nail a shot, admitting total noob factor in public forums :p

Strengths: Finding a new angle, almost all aspects of editing, actually having camera and fresh batteries on hand, not taking critiques too personally :confused:

BTW - Liked your other Avatar, this one is a little Al Gore.

-Shea

7. Christina

Christina TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    weakness - learning as much as i should, i tend to shoot & get lucky sometimes, but sometimes get frustrated and dont study up, so i dont learn from my mistakes, but im trying...
    learning how to use my photo editting programs & not give up so easy.:(

strengths - i have a million creative idea's ( but a weakness of putting them in form )

Im hoping that now i have a little more time, i can focus, i might not be very good but i really wanna get better, i just have to focus, focus, focus.

8. WildSpirit

WildSpirit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Strengths - I am creative and easy to be around ( I hope ) I get told often that I make people relax quickly.
    I am expeimental and corageous with studio lighting . I use props well and find posing people easy ( regardless of their size)
    I only ever use manual settings - in fact I have never once even used anything auto on my 5D - I feel really comfortable behind the camera.

Weakness - PP - Everything about it, I totally suck at photoshop I am doing all I can to improve this!
    I struggle sometimes changing the DOF during shoots and remaining composed and fluid.
    I also am not great at using natural light well, I am also trying to rectify that this year.

:)

Cool thread

9. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Strengths: I feel that I have a pretty good understanding of the technical aspects of photography. I know what settings, filters, or lighting I need to get the image I want, and I generally compose my shots well. I know how I want it to look, and I am able to achieve that.

Weaknesses: Creativity. I don't really know if it's even possible to change this (can you "learn" creativity?). A lot of my pictures look pretty boring to me, even if the technical side is executed flawlessly.

10. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Strengths: Techinal display as I call it (there is prolly a real term for it but), Generally a very mundain type of photography that generally finds it's way into a filing cabnit somewhere. It's more than a snapshot but it's as far from artistic and/or journalistic as it can be, but not as refined as product photography. Automobile damage (or lack thereof), structure exteriors and what not, just ment to show something specific.

Weaknesses:.....Too many to list.....but what the hey lets try right

1. PP, I have grown so accustomed to doing it all in those little black boxes I adorn myself with with minimal viewers of the final image, I never really cared about things like eliminating powerlines, poles or other random objects to make the image satisfying to those with no true interest in the actual subject.

2. Composition, artistic and journalistic imagery composition eludes me, sometimes I stumblenutz on to it for a shot or two but attempts to repeat meet with failure.

3. Candid shooting, I can be a sticler for focus at times, I just can not pull up the camera and hit the release (this applies to AF as well, I tend to hold the button halfway for a few additional seconds just because I don't trust it)

11. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Strengths: B+W visualisation. Framing in camera. Basic composition.

Weaknesses: Creative imagination. Dealing with people subjects. Studio lighting.

12. dpolston

dpolston TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

<ouch> That hurt dude! lol

I was trying to show people my conservative face. "Corporate America Rulz!"

<man... I crack me up!>