Struggling to keep photos level

ROLLIN182

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a problem when taking photos I find it difficult when looking though my camera lens to keep the horizon and even more so buildings level in my photos. If i am taking a photo straight on then i dont get it to bad but anything off centre then I can be looking through the camera for quite a while trying to see what looks level and cant work out which is straight. Does anyone else struggle with this or are there any tips that could be shared to help me with this.

Examples below i tried to line nelsons column parallel with the side of the camera but the fountain looks as if it leans:http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDVAroTDZYz9ntIJ!IkfbSENRWPRQMiegbdlbFf5tLrstvBStie9F1TFFBrFr4Cr7gj6nyghb8B*Zj2PK7kd1FKj!pV5ZrnhaSjFzV!dEQ/PICT3420.JPG?dc=4675590889760748520

That's tricky...to keep everything straight in that shot, you would need a tilt-shift lens or something like an old View Camera.

Without tilt & shift adjustments, you will get barrel distortion and other deformities. The lens is round after all.

This is fixable with software like Photoshop.

"Big Mike" is right on as usual, a tilt-shift lens would fix the distortion. But your main problem is, the whole image is tilting over to the right as you state is your problem. Most photographers, I find, do have a tendency to shoot with the horizon a bit off, I do so myself, maybe it's something to do with the brain.
An easily visible horizon is not as hard though as shooting buildings as per your shot, as no easily visible horizon is apparent. In this case, concentrate on the building in the middle of the shot and keep it straight up and down, at least the buildings on the left and right, even though tilting in will look correct. What's this "Big Mike" about an [OLD] view camera, though I must admit I haven't used mine for about three years. I have an old Sinar that must be 50 years old, but still can take great shots.

go out and consciously shoot a few shoots with nothing but that on your mind.

See if it those arent better. If they are practice practice practice. It will after a while be habit to line things up as you expect to see them.

Rememeber this one thing. If you get one object the way you want it, most likely you moved something else off level. It's always going to be a trade off. Shooting from the hip is the worst. Tripods help but they are a pain. I use one about half the time, but would never use one if I could help it.

Well not really true my son in law bought a lens with anti shake for his nikon so he could shoot a couple of shots in a wedding really slow without a tripod. I thought it was bit pricey for that one shot someone might buy. (bean bag and church pew thanks very much)

:lol:

By old, I meant that there are probably very few (if any) new View cameras being made these days...you sure won't find many in a typical camera shop.

They certainly can take great shots...with good glass and a large sheet of film...they can takes shots that would blow away all these digital cameras.

Thanks all for your replies. I will get and have some more practice as well as squaring them up with software.

ROLLIN, I don't know what camera you have, but some camera's can overlay a grid in the viewfinder. Very helpful as reference for horizontals and perpendiculars. Good compositional aid too.
Consult your camera's manual to see if it has the viewfinder grid option.

ViewfinderGrid.jpg

Most reactions

Back