Stupid question

Prime_vci

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.elusivehideout.com
do they make somethign so u can setup your camera and catch lighting liek a while ago i was watchign dicovery channel and this guy had something he plugged into his camera and everytime it detected lighing it woudl tkae a picture... well can any point me in this direction of such a thing can be bought? or evan what it is called...

Sounds to me that something like that would be pretty high tech and used by scientists n stuff... I could be wrong, but it certainly doesn't sound like anything you're gonna pick up at the camera store for a few bucks...

couldn't it be a slave flash sensor? If I remember correctly some work on the basis of a photocell dunno if it could be used as a trigger though or if its sensitive enough to react to the lightning flash

If it's dark enough...getting lighting is fairly easy (if there is frequent lightning).

All you have to do is set the camera on a tripod and set it to bulb (holds the shutter open). It's best to have a remote release. Now just point the camera into the night sky where you think the lightning will apear...with the shutter open. After it does, just close the shutter and there you go. You can even record multiple strikes on a single frame.

Disclamer...I've read a lot about this but never tried it. Also, be careful and smart...don't stand out in the open with a camera/tripod during a thunder storm.

Big Mike said:
Disclamer...I've read a lot about this but never tried it. Also, be careful and smart...don't stand out in the open with a camera/tripod during a thunder storm.

Oh man u jsut took all the fun out of it... i would give thata try but to much ligh potiun to do it at nigh geuss i will jsut forget this till i do some research....

Prime_vci said:
Big Mike said:

Oh man u jsut took all the fun out of it... i would give thata try but to much ligh potiun to do it at nigh geuss i will jsut forget this till i do some research....

:shock:

Patrick said:
Prime_vci said:
Big Mike said:

:shock:

Perhaps he was hit with lightning during the middle of his sentence? *smirks*

omg i sounded liek and idot to much light polution to do it at night lmao... i actually found one but they havent tested it with DR i geuss they woudl rather want to buy a 800 camera isntad of sending me a free 300 unit...

Cuervo79 said:
couldn't it be a slave flash sensor? If I remember correctly some work on the basis of a photocell dunno if it could be used as a trigger though or if its sensitive enough to react to the lightning flash

I would imagine that even the cheapo light triggered slaves would be triggered by lightning, and you can buy models that allow you to adjust their sensitivity. The problem would be that these usually just set off a remote flash; I don't know how you'd get it to trip the shutter.

Someone with a little electronic smarts and a soldering iron should be able to splice one to a modern electronic cable release that most AF SLRs use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back