Suggested Apple system?

Fekhten

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I'm planning to go purely digital sometime in 2005. I want to spend most of this year researching cameras and other equipment. It's always been my understanding that Apple is the hands-down champion when it comes to graphics. I haven't used an Apple since the Macintosh first came on the market.

Can anyone advise what kind of Apple system and software I should be looking at for going digital with my photography (digital darkroom)?

Thanks in advance.

-Fekhten

Well the most current Apple is a G5. Software is photoshop. Get a system with a gig of RAM and you'll be set. You still might want to buy a 3rd party calibration tool to gaurantee accurate colors.

I'm working professionaly with Apple computers since 1990...
if you're looking to buy in 2005 we're talking of at least
one newer generation of computers and digital cameras... :roll:

anyway, right now if you got cash to burn go for a G5 Dual and
a big Apple Cinema display

a good deal can be to shop around for one of the latest dual G4's on ebay

if you're on a budget look into the actual line of iMacs

any of these systems are more than good enough for photo work,
plenty of RAM and you're all set.

Also I'd recommend a good photo printer - I prefer Epson

Fekhten said:
It's always been my understanding that Apple is the hands-down champion when it comes to graphics.
Before you go dropping a lot of money on an Apple you might want to read my experience, for what it's worth. I'm studying to be a computer graphic designer and use both PC and Mac daily. Back in the day Macs used to be better at graphics simply because PCs didn't focus on that area until fairly recently. Now a days PCs can do anything a Mac can do graphic wise. I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

No matter which platform you choose just make sure you have the right specifications. Actually it really depends and what you want to do digital wise. Are you planning on becoming a professional or is this for home digital photography/semi-professional work? Basically you should get the fastest processor you can afford but a mid end computer might work for you. Also at minimum you should get 512 RAM but the more the better. If you work with very large graphic files then you should get closer to a gig of RAM. Although if you are not going to be a professional then this is pretty much overkill. A decent middle end computer is usually good enough for most personal digital work.

Some quick pros and cons for both are...
1) Macs on average are more expensive than PCs for roughly the same equivalent specifications.
2) Mac OS X however is prettier looking than Windows XP if that's a concern for you. It's one of the reasons why graphic designers like Mac. The pretty enviroment puts them in the artistic mood.
3) PCs still dominate the market so they are still more compatible with more programs. Also more products and support are for PC users but that is starting to change.
4) Apple is a monopoly so it's harder to get cheap/third party replacement parts for your computer.

Basically, it really comes down to your preference on which one you like better. Anyone who tells you one is significantly better than the other is biased. I use both daily for all kinds of graphic work. There are little things that I like and hate from both platforms but nothing that will make me say one is better than the other.

One last advice for each platform...
Mac) If you are buying a Mac you should get a Power Mac tower as opposed to an iMac. Towers are easier to upgrade which saves you money in the long run. Also iMacs are "all in one" systems meaning that the monitor is built into the computer. It makes it harder and more annoying to upgrade or replace the monitor. If you are serious about digital editing and computer graphics then you should get a "professional" monitor. The newer iMacs also come with LCD monitors which are horrible at displaying accurate colors. If you want to go cheap get an eMac instead.

PC) I would recommend getting a Dell. Consumer Reports magazine stated they had the fewest reported repair issues. You can get a top of the line systems for less than a Power Mac G5. Dells also make their systems easy to upgrade because they space out the inside components a lot better than most other companies.

Good luck!

i just wanted to say i agree 100% with Harpper. i use macs at school and windows at home both with the same version of photoshop, both are very new top of the line machines and have yet to see any difference in performance. however, the mac was significantly more expensive.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back