Suggestions for an Excellent Compact Digital?

jeffnyc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jeffrey-james-accessories-terrariums.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

I don't want to purchase an SLR (don't need to make huge prints) and don't want to lug it around on vacations (although I love SLRs).

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a small digital camera for shooting products (for my website) and general use?

A DOF function would be awesome!

Thank you so much!
Jeff

I just bought a Canon S90, and it is awesome. However, the minimum aperture is f/8, so dept of field will be limited compared to an SLR.

It has a 28-105 mm equivalent zoom, f/2.0 - 4.9 lens, a larger-than-normal (for a point & shoot) sensor, 10 MP, and a couple of really well-executed manual dials.

If you can go larger, but still not quite SLR size, consider the Canon G11. Although the lens is not f/2.0 at 28mm, it is faster over the rest of the range. Even more manual dials, at the expense of extra size.

What are your products? If you shooting macro shots that will require a very small aperture to get everything in focus, you will probably need an SLR.

I'm bringing the S90 with me to Europe instead of my SLR at the end of this month. I've been a few times, and did eventually tire of lugging the SLR. I posted about it and included a couple pix a week or so back in the Equipment forum.

Canon G11
Canon S90
Panasonic LX3 (replacement is due within a few months, it is the oldest of the bunch)

There's also the m4/3rds mount cameras such as the Olympus E-P1, E-P2, E-PL. and the Pansonic GF-1

My compact alternate is the LX3. If you do a search you'll find some feedback of posted by me as well as some samples.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I should have mentioned, I'm shooting objects between 12" - 18". Some macro shots.

A lot of the items I'm shooting are glass, so I use a light box.

I suppose I'll post another question about shooting glass, but any suggestions on cameras and/or lenses that help reduce the annoying glare associated with shooting glass? OR is it all about the light box?

Thank you!
jeff

canon powershot....and i'm a nikon guy

i think the entire Canon P&S line from the most inexpensive to the high end (G-series and S90 are powershots) are labeled as "powershot'. Did you have a specific model in mind?

Btw... That is one thing I noticed Nikon doesn't seem to do well in the market.. P&S.

Hmmm... I don't mind going a little larger in size.

What do you think?
Canon PowerShot SX20
or
Canon PowerShot G11
or
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1K

Thank you!
Jeff

Of those three.. the DMC-GF1 will be the best performer. The m4/3rds sensor is larger than all the other P&Ss. It has interchangeable lenses. Really.. a different league than the other two.

Hmmm! The Panasonic (at the best price I've found) isn't that much more expensive than the Canons.

Since I'm in that price range, how does the:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1K
compare to the
Nikon D40
(seems to have excellent reviews) ?
Any suggestions?

As much as I like the micro 4/3 format & the fact you can use any old film lenses on them, I would not consider a model without view finder or built in flash like the GF1. I have the Panasonic G1 with both, plus a large articulated LCD screen. It is comperable in size to most bridge cameras like the Canon S series. I understand it is about to be replaced by the G2 shortly.

As much as I like the micro 4/3 format & the fact you can use any old film lenses on them, I would not consider a model without view finder or built in flash like the GF1. I have the Panasonic G1 with both, plus a large articulated LCD screen. It is comperable in size to most bridge cameras like the Canon S series. I understand it is about to be replaced by the G2 shortly.

GF1 has a built in flash... and an optional EVF viewfinder.

But I agree, I much preferred my G1 over the GF1 for the reasons Ron mentioned... I got the G1 used for a good price too. The G1 costs less than the GF1 + EVF viewfinder too.

Btw.. main purpose of the G1 for me is also for use with older manual lenses. In my case, M-mount, PK mount, and more useful the M42.

As for comparison of the D40.... its really difficult to compare... The GF1 is like a very advanced bridge camera (a step above high end P&S) with a compromise between size (even the lenses are smaller) and performance. The D40 is a full DSLR.

Comparing the D40 to the GF1 is like comparing the GF1 to a P&S.... you need to figure out your priorities and determine which of the following fits: P&S, Bridge, or DSLR.

Well Jeff, it seems like you have changed your spec. When you get to the size of the Panasonic GF1 and Nikon D40, you're getting into big cameras again, which will be more of a pain to haul around on vacations. Have you decided you're willing to do this after all?

For shooting glass products for a website, I think the smaller point & shoots would do as well as the larger cameras. Remember, these are going to be displayed in relatively low resolution. The only thing I can think of on an SLR that would offer an advantage over the point & shoot is manual focus and the ability to accept polarizer filters. The S90 won't accept a polarizer, but it will get close enough.

I think you need to first make up your mind whether the camera would be small and do a good job at everything or bigger, and do a slightly better job at product photography. You might as well admit to yourself that if you do get the bigger camera, you will leave it home a lot of times and might regret it.

That's just my take on it.

Here are some more pix from my S90, just getting familiar with it:

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0110s.jpg

(these last two were posted elsewhere, but I'm not sure if you saw them)

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Thanks Jeremy!

You're right! I just want an SLR so badly!!! However, I know a compact will do just as well.

I'm going to go back and look at the compact choices!

Believe it or not, I'm actually a very decisive person, but want to get the BEST product for my needs!! ;)

Thank you so much!
Jeff

Thanks All!!!

A few of you suggested the Canon S90. I went with the Canon PowerShot 12.1MP Digital Camera
(SX200 IS) at Target online, more MPs than the Canon S90s I found online and less expensive.

My last camera was a Canon PowerShot and I was very pleased with it! Thank you!

I'll let you know how it works out!!!

Thanks Again!!! :sillysmi:
Jeff

Most reactions

New Topics

Back