Suggestions for Canon lenses - need 3 items to qualify for rebate

GerryDavid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I dont know if this has been posted here or not, but Canon is offering a rebate again. You double the rebate amount if you buy 2 canon items, or triple if you buy 3 canon items. So I figure this is a good chance to get the Canon 350d that ive been wanting for a long time now, and get a couple canon lenses while im at it.

The rebate for the Canon 350d is $75, so $225 if you buy 3 things. Buying it from b&h the total for the camera after rebate is $565.

So now I need 2 lenses. I want the 50mm prime, but the F1.8 isnt on the rebate list. The F1.4 is but someone told me this lens has really bad barrel distortion, and it is alot more money for just half a stop or what ever it is extra.

So someone recommended the 80mm F1.8 lens. Can anyone confirm this is a good lens? its $350 - $45 *3x15 rebate* = $305us

And for the 3rd item I was thinking perhaps the Canon 70-300mm F4-5.6 *or something like that* for $160 - 15 = $145us.

For those that konw me here, I know ive been talking about getting this camera and the 300d for ages now, hehe. But I may just be able to pull this off in December.

To bad theres no rebate for the battery grip.

I was thinking of getting the Canon Speedlight 580EX for $390 - $60 = $330 but someone recommended the Sigma 500dg, just wondering if anyone can confirm this is a good flash, which is $240. :0)

Thanks for the advice and recommendations.

edit>

Forgot to mention what I plan to do with the gear. The main use will be wedding photography. Then for hobby nature/wildlife and scenery. I know Ill need a better telephoto lens for that one but in the mean time I dont want to spend to much money.

the canon 50mm 1.4 is a terrific lens. it does have some barrel distortion, but it doesnt kill the value of the lens. it would be a great focal length to have for weddings and portraits. check here for a review: http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

the 85 1.8 is a gem of a lens. the sharpness is incredible, and is great wide open (but it really shines from f2.2 on). it's not soft wide open, it's just less sharp. also, the autofocus is extremely fast and accurate. I just picked up one a couple weeks ago, and i love it.

i wouldnt get the 70-300 if i were you. the new one actually has good sharpness (it's the more expensive model), but for weddings you'll want a faster zoom as well as a fast prime. unless you dont really care about controlling depth of field as much and you know you'll have good light, then you may want to consider the newer version. It runs for around the same as a 70-200 f4L though, so you'll most likely want to get that one instead. when it comes to long lenses, you're not going to want to just go on and buy stuff, especially since money (as always) is an issue.

I have been wondering about the 50mm too as I'm tempted to purchase it and from the link it looks like the 1.4 is best? would you agree? cheers!

Also check out the new 60mm. I have read nothing but good, good, good about this lens. But it is slower than what you're looking at?

60mm

same here about the 60mm. you may not want to get EF-S lenses though, some people dont just in case you use film or might go full frame later. if you're going to get something longer than the 50mm, get the 85 1.8.

and yes, the 50mm 1.4 is much better than the 1.8 (the 1.8 is still a great performer though).

You're missing out on the wide angles. Don't forget there is a 1.5x crop factor on that camera, so basically the 50mm is really a 75mm. The 70-300 is basically a 105-450 lens. You need something in the wide range. Consider getting a 25mm or smaller, in any style you like.

I personally have a 24-120 zoom (nikon) and still find myself dreaming of wider yet.

thebeginning said:
the canon 50mm 1.4 is a terrific lens. it does have some barrel distortion, but it doesnt kill the value of the lens. it would be a great focal length to have for weddings and portraits. check here for a review: http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

the 85 1.8 is a gem of a lens. the sharpness is incredible, and is great wide open (but it really shines from f2.2 on). it's not soft wide open, it's just less sharp. also, the autofocus is extremely fast and accurate. I just picked up one a couple weeks ago, and i love it.

i wouldnt get the 70-300 if i were you. the new one actually has good sharpness (it's the more expensive model), but for weddings you'll want a faster zoom as well as a fast prime. unless you dont really care about controlling depth of field as much and you know you'll have good light, then you may want to consider the newer version. It runs for around the same as a 70-200 f4L though, so you'll most likely want to get that one instead. when it comes to long lenses, you're not going to want to just go on and buy stuff, especially since money (as always) is an issue.

I like the idea of the 50mm 1.4 but it is alot more than the 1.8 for not much more light, plus there is distortionn, slight but some. So I guess im leaning towards the 1.8.

I dont plan to use the 70-300mm much for weddings. There might be a shot or two that I may want, but with the crop factor of the xt, the 50 will get me 80mm and the 80 will get me 128 and im sure that will do most of the wedding shots I would want to do. Im more concerned about the wide angle that I will be lacking, hehe. Id like to get the Sigma 15-30mm but thats $500. Its tempting to get the kit lens to just have that option for the time being.

The 70-300 would be more for wildlife pictures. I know its not top of the line but for the next few years it will have to suffice I think.

The 70-300 one you were talking about, is it this one?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=319783&is=USA&addedTroughType=search
Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens USA
$ 1,160 - (3 * $ 40.00) = $ 1020

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=397663&is=USA&addedTroughType=search
Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens USA
$650 - (3 * $15) = $605

I had the same debate about the 50mm lens... 1.4 or 1.8? I ended up getting the 1.8 because I couldn't justify the extra hundreds of dollars for that little bit more light. And my aim wasn't to use it fully open all the time... but just to have it there incase.
The colours are a little nicer (apparently) on the 1.4 but not by much.

I seriously love the 1.8 though. I never ever need more light.....and dof is hard enough to manage at 1.8... let alone 1.4!! Infact, I've got some pretty funny photos coz of that. I've attached a photo of my puppy taken at f/1.8 (can't remember the shutter speed). I call him evil dog emerging from mist!

Just make sure you read about each lens before you make a descision. Even if two lenses ar very similar in name.. they can be very different in quality.

Attachments

• $Sooty-NarrowDoF.jpg
    $Sooty-NarrowDoF.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 130

Most reactions

New Topics

Back