altyfc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
becky-mnemba-large6.jpg

Aaron

me again :lol:

you have a really great eye for photographing and this photo is a good picture and has the potential to be a great picture .. (i even brought my hubby over to take a look and we discussed your photographs :lol: ) ...

but in my humble opinion (which doesnt mean much :roll: ) i think the woman has a slight dark overcast which could be cause from a high aperture or too "sharpened" (high aperture u can compensate with a slower shutter speed) ... the hubby thinks its from scanning (dont know if your on digital or film)

im not usally the one to be "nit-picky" about people's photographs .. but i think u have a great eye and want to see u prosper :D

keep posting .. i look forward to seeing more of your work :thumbsup:

Thanks for responding again! :) Firstly, "the woman" is my wife... the empty chair is mine. :D (this was towards the end of our honeymoon)

Thanks for your feedback. The photos are digital so it's not a scanning issue. To be honest, I'm often guilty of 'being lazy' and taking the camera's auto setting rather than playing myself and learning what works and what doesn't. I do have a lot to learn when it comes to aperture settings, f-stops and all that. Part of my problem is that I don't experiment enough and, when I do, I don't remember what setting I had and so don't really learn from successes or failures. It always surprises me when people say "I took this on f8 with the aperture open for 1.5 secs" - I just think "how on earth do you they remember?!". I guess I need to concentrate on what I'm doing more! :)

Aaron

f8 is a very popular aperture setting but be careful about using it ... the proper lighting conditions have to be apropriate. honestly, i've never used it ... not apropriate for any and all the photos i've ever done .. but my hubby uses it a lot :)

not sure what aperture setting u used, but its appears to be a little dark out there for an f8 (just my guestimate, im not a professional by any means :lol: )

since your on digital, u may want to check your white balance and iso settings as well...

im not sure how long u've been "photographing" ... but in a setting like this, i think program mode would not do this photo justice ... a step up from there would be to do a aperture or shutter priority (dont know if your camera does that or not) ... that way u can set your aperture (for example) and the camera fix the shutter apropriately... assuming your iso and white balance are in accordance. :D

dude, your on digital, u can take 100 pics a day and it doesnt cost u a dime :lol: ... experiment, experiment, experiment ... does your camera have bracket mode? ... where u can take 3 shots, one over-exposed, under-exposed, "normally" exposed?

I believe it does.

You're right. I need to experiment more. The problem is time, time and time. But I suppose on honeymoon I really had no excuse (or you could perhaps argue I had every excuse!).

I only bought the camera (a Canon G5) a week before leaving, and didn't have much time to play with it before leaving (what with the wedding and everything) so it was a steep learning curve on the flight. Hopefully I can learn more in the coming months.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Aaron

Aaron- like Dew, I'm on a Mac (though mine's a notebook). It looks a tad dark, but not overly so. If you have Photoshop CS (or know someone who does) you could try the Highlight/Shadow filter to see if you could bring up the foreground a bit.

Nice setting & the composition is great. Honeymoon alone on the beach. Lucky dog! Congrats on the nuptials. :lol:

edit to add--- Curves in any flavor of PS or PS Elements should work as well---

actually, F8 is the IDEAL aperture to shoot with, as far as image quality goes. the reason being is that all lenses perform their best at the middle aperture setting, which is usually F8. this is the standard aperture. it's also called the "whatever" aperture, because when you're shooting at F8, you don't really care about depth of field, like you would when you're minimizing it at 4 and larger, or maximizing it at 16 or smaller.

when shooting at the widest or smallest apertures, this is when lenses suffer the most as far as image quality.

i really like that shot, aaron. it's a good exposure -- just the right balance between foreground and background detail. well done.

sean

Most reactions

New Topics

Back