super duper beginner, but super duper proud of this pic

Just out of curiosity, why shutter priority mode?

Just because I'm such a noob, I still don't know much about exposure so I'm getting used to playing around with shutter and not worrying about the aperture as much yet. Once I'm comfortable with choosing shutter speeds I'll move on. :blushing:

Just a suggestion, but you might consider swapping that around. Play with aperture before messing with shutter speeds. The aperture is going to have much more change in the look of your image than a shutter speed change (in most cases that is). For example, shooting a flower at f2.8 versus f/11 is going to completely change the look of the photo. Shooting a flower (or building) at 1/200th versus 1/500th isn't going to change much if anything in your photos.

Fix the halo around the church and you have a winner.
Not worth the effort because of the under exposure and being a copy of a small jpeg.

Oh, I know...and I didn't mean literally....I was just stating that you had proved that the photo could be saved to an extent.

I like the idea, and you captured your sunflare nicely........

But you did chop off the right sie of the church and the steeple....

It would have more impact if the flare wasn't so obviously the subject, but part of the larger composition........:D

I like the idea, and you captured your sunflare nicely........

But you did chop off the right sie of the church and the steeple....

It would have more impact if the flare wasn't so obviously the subject, but part of the larger composition........:D

Well, I should be back in that area many more times this summer, I'll try to frame the pic better. I think I was just so excited when I saw it. Well, that and I'm still learning the whole photography thing. :thumbsup:

I like the colour version more - for me (a super noob) the black and white one was really busy - the clouds, the trees, the siding, the sun flare. But it is still a great pic. This is just my personal reaction when I first saw it. =]

Just out of curiosity, why shutter priority mode?

Just because I'm such a noob, I still don't know much about exposure so I'm getting used to playing around with shutter and not worrying about the aperture as much yet. Once I'm comfortable with choosing shutter speeds I'll move on. :blushing:

Just a suggestion, but you might consider swapping that around. Play with aperture before messing with shutter speeds. The aperture is going to have much more change in the look of your image than a shutter speed change (in most cases that is). For example, shooting a flower at f2.8 versus f/11 is going to completely change the look of the photo. Shooting a flower (or building) at 1/200th versus 1/500th isn't going to change much if anything in your photos.

Completely, completely agree!! aperture priority is my "default" on my camera, and I switch to shutter-priority only when I feel I need to. Aperture priority will make a world of difference.

Try taking a picture in f/4.5 (around there) then take the same in f/11 then again in f/22 and note the differences. IMO, it's a lot of fun :)

Also highly recommend borrowing "[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243469018&sr=8-1"]Understanding Exposure[/ame]" from your library (or buying it) because he does a great job explaining the different aperture settings. Maybe it's just me, but I understand aperture the most out of all the different settings, for whatever reason. You might find that, once you read about it a couple of times, it "clicks" for you as well. :)

Last edited:
Have a read through Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.
Amazing book for an intro to the world of exposure, apertures, ISO, shutters and so on

DSC_0350.JPG
I played:
DSC_0350-2.jpg

I like your touchup job.. except for the roof ont he right side looks weird.. but I do like your touch up job besides that.. A+ :)

Well if the point was to throw the church into darkness and let the power of the sunspot come through, then the photo works. Aperture priority though as another poster said, would be the better choice here.

With that said, folks please be mindful of the "advice" you are giving. In this shot, with the church as far away as it is, the foreground being in focus is not possible. That is a limitation of physics. However the OP may well go off thinking "Damnit how come I can't get this in focus!" when theres actually nothing wrong.

Most reactions

Back