Super Macro with (coupling) step down ring

scarletlion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I'm a novice photographer with an interest in Macro photography. I've been doing some research into it and have heard of he super macro technique whereby you reverse mount a lens using a coupling ring. I have a few questions:

1) Can I use my 105mm sigma macro lens with a canon 50mm prime f/1.8 lens to do this?
2) Is it worth the hassle?
3) Is there any risk to the equipment?
4) If so, does anyone know the exact coupling rign I would need?

Many thanks for any advice.

Using a nifty fifty reversed on a105 macro will work just peachy keen.

The only risk is the exposed 'back' side to the 50mm. You just need to be careful.

I don't know what size filters either lens takes, but that's all you would need to find out. Look inside the caps of both, it should be there. Then just order a macro coupling ring that has both of those sizes.

You'll also need to make sure the aperture on the 50 is open to maximum.

Wow, that was quick. Thanks. So let me get this straight. I go:

Camera > Sigma 105mm > coupling ring > 50mm

Any idea what the difference in magnification would be as opposed to using the sigma 105mm on it's own?

No problem. Would there be any drawbacks with focusing /aperture etc with this technique? Or does everythign work as it would if it just had the sigma 105mm on?

You'll pretty much have to focus by moving the camera as opposed to using the focus ring. This is SOP in the realm of super-close imaging.

Awesome! Great colors between the red of the eye, the blue of the body, and the green background!

105mm/50mm = 2.1, so you ought to be able to get about 2.1x life-size with that combo. Other good ones are 200mm/24 for 8.33~ x magnification. Nikon and a number of other companies made affordable, yet solidly-made 200mm lenses for much of ther 1970's and 1980's and they adapt well to Canons. A 200mm and 35mm wide angle produces almost 6x magny!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back