swinging fire

xzyragon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had some fun last night playing around with some steel wool. Still working on getting the subjects to be more crisp during the long exposure, but it's a work in progress. Any tips or ideas on how you'd light a person during a long exposure would be awesome!

IMG_6325 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

IMG_6311 by christophercoxphoto, on Flickr

Keep light away from the person during the long exposure. Then at the end of your long exposure, flash the person.

Keep light away from the person during the long exposure. Then at the end of your long exposure, flash the person.

when I tried that, the flash wasn't strong enough for the person to show up bright enough, even at full power, because I had the aperture tightened down (f11).

#2 kind of bothered with him being distorted (can I say it like that?)

#1 is sweet, the lighting on the person is odd, but not a deal breaker to me, just looks like it's out of place, but you could make an argument for or against that as an artistic element. #2 distortion kills it for me, but i do like the spinning fire effect regardless

My roommate in the first one was too dark (like skin tone wise) to be lit up by anything other than a cellphone flashlight really close to his face, plus another flashlight as fill for the other side. And he was lit for the entire exposure.

Next time i'll try opening up the aperture a little bit and flashing my subject at the end of the exposure.

#2 kind of bothered with him being distorted (can I say it like that?)

distorted by movement or by the wide angle? He didn't like standing that close to the sparks and kept moving.

don't put him that close to the edge of the frame when shooting

Most reactions

Back