Sync cord with iTTL or Radio Syncs without iTTL

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As I begin my venture into off camera lighting, the commander mode on my D90 just isn't cutting it in bright light. I come the the question; Do I want to use radio syncs or do I want to use a sync cord. The worry I have with sync cords is the length and that I wouldn't be able to get the positioning that I want. The worry I have with radio syncs is not having the iTTL capability.

What are your opinions?

Most choose to go with radio triggers. Loosing iTTL isn't a big deal if you know how to work manually with flash. Actually, many prefer to work manually because they know it's consistent. While iTTL (E-TTL) can be great, they are still dependent on the reflectivity of the subject.

There is another option, and that is Radio Poppers. They piggyback your CLS system and use radio communication. This would give you what you want, but it's not cheap. I think you would need a master Nikon flash on-camera, then a slave flash off camera, and then two RP units, one for each flash.

Pocket Wizard have recently come out with a radio system that is E-TTL (Canon) compatible, I know they are working on a Nikon version, but I don't know if it's out yet. They are still working out a few bugs with the Canon system.

I shoot with sync cords a lot because I am forgetful and leave one part of my trigger set at home. They are fine, but a bit of a pain because it tethers you to the light. I'd go with the radio triggers and get a sync cord as backup-- all of mine have come included with lights but I can't imagine they're terribly expensive.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks guys. I've been looking into the cactus v4's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back