syncing flash

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For christmas I got myself a brand new 600ex flash. I am hoping to sync it to my 430ex to use at wedding receptions on a stand. So how do I do this? Do I need a special trigger/receiver?

By 'sync' do you mean slave? If so, then, yes, you will need a special trigger unless the 600EX has a built in optical trigger. You can use a hot-shoe one such as this, or if the budget permits, radio triggers. Does Canon not have a built-in system similar to Nikon's Creative Lighting System, which allows IR control of multiple speedlights?

Yes sorry, a slave. I have these for off camera work...will they work? yongnuo trigger transceiver
I'll have to check if the 600 has an optical trigger :/ I have no idea!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Does Canon not have a built-in system similar to Nikon's Creative Lighting System, which allows IR control of multiple speedlights?

embarrassingly I don't know :/ Perhaps another canon user can chime in and help me out :D

Yes sorry, a slave. I have these for off camera work...will they work? yongnuo trigger transceiver
I'll have to check if the 600 has an optical trigger :/ I have no idea!
Those will work just fine. One in the camera's hot shoe, one attached to each remote speedlight.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Does Canon not have a built-in system similar to Nikon's Creative Lighting System, which allows IR control of multiple speedlights?

embarrassingly I don't know :/ Perhaps another canon user can chime in and help me out :D
Hmmm... now if only there was a place to get an answer like that...
okay what is IR control? I'm sure its obvious and I am either having a blonde moment or I am blaming it on the fact I am sick with the flu :p

infrared

IR is InfraRed optical trigger. The 600 ex supports this. The only radio trigger is to use Canon's 600ex-ST-E3 radio link. It is all designed to work with Canon's newer cameras but certain features are available for older camera's as well. The best thing you can do at this point is a little homework. Go to canon's website and download the manual for the 600-EX.

Nope. At least the last time I checked they didn't have an in-the-camera system.

The 430EX II can only function as an off-camera "slave" flash when working with other flashes. It cannot be a trigger. Also, it can only be triggered optical (using it's built-in wireless technology).

The 600EX II can be either master or slave. It can also work optically or via radio. This means it's the most versatile. But since the 430EX II is constrained to being a "slave" and "optical" it means you'll have to configure the 600EX II has the "master" and tell it to use "optical" (not radio -- since 430EX II's can't do radio.)

The receiver on the 430EX II is in the lower half of the unit. This part of the unit must be able to "see" the 600EX II trigger the flash (it requires line of sight. A big advantage of radio is that it doesn't require line of sight). This means you may need to rotate the base of the 430EX II to make sure it can "see" the 600EX II fire (and since the 430EX II has a head which can tilt and swivel, this won't be a problem.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back