T-Max film

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by KelleighJay, May 12, 2008.

1. KelleighJay

KelleighJay TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm taking this darkroom photography class and my instructor told me to use either c-41 (c-40?) or t-max film and I stupidly bought the latter.

Now I'm remembering he told me that you can't get that film developed at the local rite aid...(right?)

so I could either wait a week and have it developed by this professional camera store but that would be after the day of my class and I wanna make prints...

OR I could develop it myself at my highschool using their equip so I guess my real question here IS...is that too risky be it that I haven't developed film in 2,3 years and is there a special method in developing this type of film??

I have no idea and this is my first post here so ;)

2. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

Do it yourself, download the tech sheet for the film from Kodaks website, and just follow the instructions - it'll give you a sense of achievement.

Welcome to the forum, and don't forget to post the pics when you get them developed!

3. Coldow91

Coldow91 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, it won't be too bad to dev. them yourself. either do what ^^^ said. or get someone at the high school to help you. it shouldn't be too bad

4. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Putting T-Max through a C-41 minilab will result in a blank film - the C-41 developer will produce an image, but the bleach will then remove it entirely. That's what happens in C-41 (and E-6) - the silver image is formed, then removed.

T-Max films are slightly more particular about time and temperature than other conventional B&W films, but they are still easy to develop. Next time it might be better to use something like Tri-X or HP5+ (both easy to develop, conventional B&W films); or XP2 Super or BW400CN, both of which are B&W C-41 films. If you are printing using normal B&W paper then XP2 Super (commonly known as XP2) is the better of those two. The film can be developed at a normal C-41 minilab, and it is designed for use with conventional B&W paper.

Best,
    Helen