T4i Lens Questions

jw3571

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm so confused on what's the best way to go. I purchased a T4i from buy.com it comes with a bunch of stuff including 2lenses which are 18-55mm & 55-250mm. Now that i've read more reviews it seems people like the 18-135 STM lenses much more. So should I send this back and get one with the 18-135 STM lens. I'd like a little more zoom which made the 55-250 appealing but not if it's going to look like crap. I really just want an easy to use camera that takes great looking pics of my kids and takes HD video. Will I get this from the two lenses that are coming with my cameras? When I've asked questions before a lot people say to go with a Nikon D5100? Do Canon's not get much love around here? The D5100 is pretty old where the Canon is fairly new. I'm beginning to think I'd be better off getting T4i with the 18-135mm STM lens and then get the 55-255mm for only $100? Is this the better way to go? Thanks for your help,

Last edited:
The Canon vs. Nikon debate will go on for eternity. You really can't go wrong either way, often the differences are technical and somewhat negligible for a beginner or a hobbyist. Just pick one, and stick with it. There are Canon and Nikon shooters alike here, beginners use both, hobbyists use both, professionals use both. I guarantee you that you are not going to pick up a magazine off the rack and say "Oh, see? That's a Canon shot". There are certainly advantages to both, but you'll go silly trying to duke it out over which one is the undisputed winner. Do some research, but either way, you'll have a fine camera. Just stick with whatever you do go with though, as it can get costly trying to keep up with two brands (lenses, accessories, etc.)

Your pictures certainly won't look poor with the two lenses you have, actually they are great lenses for a beginner. They lack some of the sharpness and features of Canon's better lenses, but excellent shots can be had with both. Focus right now on learning to master your camera. A Canon 1DX with a 135 F/2L shooting portraits with a novice in full auto won't look much better than my T1i. A novice shooting that 1DX and a pro shooting my T1i? The T1i wins. Equipment IS important, it's a lie that 'The camera doesn't matter', but if you haven't mastered your equipment, you won't be able to take advantage of the better, higher end stuff.

You first need to determine what kind of shooting you want to do. That 55-255 can really open doors for landscape, wildlife, etc. But if none of that interests you, you might be better served with the 18-135!

Good luck!

-John

The 18-55 & 55-250 have very good image quality for kit lenses when used within their limitations.

The biggest determinant of success here, is going to be your skill level. That term encompasses lots of ground, but what is relevant for you is:
  1. knowing the strengths and limitations of your equipment (reading and understanding the manual is an important part)
  2. Understanding light (a huge subject, but the first sentence is usually "If you don't have enough light, you're not going to get the picture.").
  3. Technique (learning to hold the camera steadily, knowing where to focus, etc.).
  4. Artsy-fartsy concepts like composition, posing, background/foreground control...

Your equipment will give superb results in the hands of an experienced photographer, when used under the right conditions. Your challenge is to understand what those conditions are. Outside, you usually have enough light (unless your subject is in heavy shade). Indoors, the light is much dimmer, and it takes more skill to get good images. And acquiring that skill takes time, practice and some effort. But it is well worth the investment.

So are you saying that stepping up to the 18-135mm stm lens isn't worth it? You can get the T4i with that lens and then get a 55-250 for around $100? How would these be as a combo?

Longer range zooms typically are worse than shorter range, at least when in the same price level. So in principle 18-55IS + 55-250IS can be better than 18-135IS. 18-135 is more practical because you change lenses less often, but this is not what should drive a dSLR user in his/her choices.
Take a look at Photozone.de tests (and there are also many opinions around on 18-55+55-250 vs 18-135, e.g., this).

Regarding the latter combo, I do not think you are able to find a new 55-250 for $100. It is cheap, but not so cheap. If you want a slight (and relatively cheap) upgrade, substitute 18-55 with Tamron 17-50/2.8.

I was able to get the 55-250mm lens that cheap because I purchased the camera and Canon has a deal going where you get $150 off that lens when you purchase the camera.

Don't worry so much about which lens blah blah blah...certainly don't let a few anecdotes on the internet convince you that you should go for that lens vs the other one. More then many other products lens experience is highly situational. So even a whole crowd of people yammering that "OMG this lens is so much better than this lens" are usually wrong. This is usually because they just happened to take pictures they liked better with one then the other, but really that better picture probably has a lot more to do with everything else that isn't the lens. I've come to the conclusion that hard math and tests are the only way to clearly define which lenses are worth your money. And so, I give to you:

Welcome to Photozone!

Thanks for the link, I read the lenses I got and it should be great.

Most reactions

Back