Take A Break From Photography

PeterToronto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a camera with me at all times. Seriously, my camera is with me at all times. To say that it has become an appendage is not a stretch. I actually feel somewhat awkward when I don't have it with me. It’s not a security blanket, so relax with the armchair psychiatry. Rather, this is just a case of not wanting to miss a photographic moment that life presents.

Here's a radical idea, especially if you're anything like myself: the next time that you go for a walk, attend a function, or just go out, intentionally leave your camera behind. For anyone that’s in a rut, or feeling uninspired about their recent photography, that may be the antidote or the kickstart that you need. This whole notion may sound counterintuitive, but it may be exactly what rejuvenates and inspires a desire to create again. Leaving your gear behind will give you a break from making images, and it will also allow you the freedom to just see the photographs in your mind's eye. In other words, just let it be.

At first, when I stumbled upon this experiment, I regretted not bringing a camera, but after about thirty minutes, I just started appreciating all of the great images around me. I also got to see how these moments changed from second to second...a luxury that isn't possible when you have a SLR camera pressed up in front of your face. For anyone that has never operated a SLR camera before, everything goes momentarily black after the shutter release button is depressed. When I got home, I felt so energized and excited about photography again. All I wanted to do was get right back out there with my camera gear. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder…

If you enjoyed the read and/or found this informative, there's more on my website...

peter anthony PHOTOGRAPHY - Home

Peace
Peter

I'm not sure if I can intensionally leave my camera behind. Nature is so nice especially when you go for simple walks here and there. I love this profession too much to leave my camera at home but if it works for you! hey that's fine also.

Inevitably one experiences moments where he or she wishes a camera were nearby. However, in my humble experience there are so many fewer moments like that than ones where I would not want to take a picture of anything, that not carrying a camera with me at all times in an easy choice.

The other day I went out to get lunch and saw on the street a pile of human sh*t and next to it a pair of what looked like relatively new red shoes. It was incredible. And on a busy street in downtown San Francisco! Who does that unnoticed?

Hell, my problem is remembering to bring my camera withme in the first place.

But then again, my style of photography isn't a quick point and shoot type - where's the fun in that? Once I bought a film camera, I started to actually think about my shots. I started to really think about composition and framing, because photography isn't about finding something cool or out of the ordinary - there are way too many things in our lives that can be classified as such and thus aren't really special IMO when captured in a photograph. It's more important to give conscious thought as to which aperture you're using, where you're standing, shooting manual and making sure your exposure is right while still maintaining an acceptable shutter speed and ISO, and where everything sits in your masterpiece before actually squeezing off a shot.

Once you realize this, photography takes a lot of time. You stop shooting and start capturing (hunting metaphor as to time intended). It's no longer something that you can do on your day-to-day activities, nor is it something that can be accomplished when you're out with friends - it's something you actually need to schedule. When you start to see some results in your work, about how you spend time in Photoshop touching up photos because you like them rather than just dumping them on your hard drive, you'll understand, and you'll get more out of your hobby besides.

In my book, mind you that is just my book, you are 100% right.

I never took any serious gear with me on vacation trips. I had a P&S and shot P&S type photos of my family. Actually, to be honest, my wife shot most of those because I was on vacation.

Years ago I took a class in writing screenplays. After a little while I realized I had no idea what those movies were about. I was watching the screenplay, not the movie.

What a way to go through life...

so when every you go someplace you don't take your DSLR with you do you??? I would be worried about it getting stollen

I usually take a Holga or a Diana+ when I'm out. I don't feel bad about abusing those cameras -- they're crap to begin with.

I just got back from a weeks vacation and didn't take the camera.....lol I had my trusty P&S. I think I actually felt relieved that it wasn't w/ me. I can honestly say I didn't miss it at all. It was nice to just enjoy my surroundings without thinking about what would be the best angle to capture this.....lol

My camera is with me ALL the time but I don't always use it. My luck is the day I leave it at home I will be somewhere that I really should have had it with me. Hell even out on my Harley I have the camera along. Nope, can't leave it at home sorry.

I'm vacationing in Mexico City as I type this. I have family living here and -- due to the increasing violence in the streets -- they asked me not to bring my camera. So this is the first time in ages that I don't travel with my camera. Although photography has become such an important part of my life, I've found that not having my camera with me for a change has helped me enjoy myself and my family more than during any previous trip. That's priceless.

Still, I'm seeing photo opps slip by every other hour that I cannot do anything about --other than enjoying the mental exercise of framing eight-by-twelves with my mind's eye. Not being able to capture any of this is the low price that I'm paying to spend some quality time with parents and brothers, while at the same time I supercharge my mind's photographic batteries.

But damn, I miss my camera.

Most reactions

Back