taking a trip, need some advice

mattvillano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be participating in a study abroad program with my college for 3 weeks over the winter break in January. We'll be traveling to a bunch of national parks and other sites in the American Southwest. We'll be visiting Nevada, Arizona, Utah and a small part of California. I figure this is a perfect opportunity to really beef up the portfolio. I've never been off the east coast. This is my first big trip and I want to bring back some quality photos

Does anyone have any advice on equipment or techniques for what I'll be seeing out there. I'm guessing it will be a lot of landscapes and some journalistic type shots. (I'm not sure if I want to bring a lot of equipment or if I want to bring the digital stuff at all) What type/brands of film would you guys suggest bringing on such a trip? Any other technical and equipment suggestions would be appreciated.

sorry for the long post. thanks in advance.

Let's start with what equipment you have right now.
How much are you willing to spend on equipment?

You need to bring the camera that you're the happiest with. I'd also bring the digital as a back up, just in case...

For film, Fuji Velvia 50 or 100 should do nicely. There are a lot of reds in Arizona and Utah and the Velvia will let you exploit them.

Do you know exactly where you're going? I traveled most of the Southwest, especially Arizona and Utah and I can tell you what parts are the best for photography.

Grand Canyon National Park
Zion National Park
Saguaro National Monument
Canyon de Chelley

are just a few.....we'll be in tuscon and pheonix as well as las vegas.

I have a Nikon n80 and a nikon d70 with a 17-80mm, 70-300mm, and a 50mm 1.4. I also have some old film SLRs I'm not bringing. So i'm not going to be buying any big new equipment really. Just need some advice on film and filters and stuff like that. Thanks guys.

Polarizer is a must...

If you take tripod... take some ND and graduated ND for landscape...

I'd probably go with 50mm prime and 17-85 and D70... But I have a sh1tload of batteries and cf cards.

I can't imagine 70-300 being very useful... Cheers

I agree with doc. A polarizer is a must to get the nice saturation of the rocks. I've yet to go to grand canyon and canyon de chelly but I've been to Zion and Saguaro Nat'l park.

Depending on the water levels, don't miss out on the Narrows hike. I shot this about 2 miles into the hike.

In saguaro you'll come across lots of Cholla cactus. Don't get too close cause they hurt like a sonofabitch if attacks you. It keeps digging further and further in. These are best captured at twilight. about 20 minutes before sunrise and after sunset. They have a beautiful glow to them.

mattvillano said:
Grand Canyon National Park
Zion National Park
Saguaro National Monument
Canyon de Chelley

are just a few.....we'll be in tuscon and pheonix as well as las vegas.

I have a Nikon n80 and a nikon d70 with a 17-80mm, 70-300mm, and a 50mm 1.4. I also have some old film SLRs I'm not bringing. So i'm not going to be buying any big new equipment really. Just need some advice on film and filters and stuff like that. Thanks guys.

That's a great trip already! A few other places worth of mentioning:

Page (AZ) and Lake Powell, there are many slot canyons like Antelope Canyon great for Photo.

Moab (UT) for the Arches Nat'l Park.

Canyonlands (UT).

Bryce Canyon (UT).

The last two aren't that far from Zion Nat'l Park.

In Tucson: try Gates Pass at sunset, you'll be shooting the sun setting but the hills around have lots of Saguaros.

In Phoenix: not much to shoot, except the breeze with us, the three Phoenicians... :lol: :lol: Well, you could try shooting Saguaros at night, long exposure and then wash the cacti with two or three colored flashlights (red on a side, green on the other side and so on...). It makes for a very interesting look.

BTW, when ae you coming to Phoenix?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back