Taking Aim

Josh66

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
4080986013_9fcb7b664b_b.jpg

All Sizes

Not a big fan of the lighting, but I'm impressed by the symmetry and perfect alignment of it all.

Focus is wrong. Front sight should be in focus, not the rear. Any shooter is going to notice. Unless you want to change the title to "how not to aim."

I agree it would have looked cool changing the depth to make the front site in focus keeping the forground somewhat blurry.

Focus is wrong. Front sight should be in focus, not the rear. Any shooter is going to notice. Unless you want to change the title to "how not to aim."

Very true...as i shoot alot myself. but as for the photo itself...i really like it alot! get us a pic of the exact setup but with the front sight in focus please!

If you're gonna shoot it again you might want to provide some fill light on camera right so the light is more even.

Very true...as i shoot alot myself. but as for the photo itself...i really like it alot! get us a pic of the exact setup but with the front sight in focus please!

Yeah, I know. Front sight in focus didn't look as good - with the DOF, not much else would have been in focus with it.
(Even though it's technically wrong, this looks better...)

The setup was me hand holding it inside a light tent. Light camera left, reflectors camera right and top. Camera on a tripod.

This was actually a lot harder than it looks...

This was at f/16. As you know - the lens stays wide open until you take the picture... Wide open, I couldn't even see the front sight. I had to hold down the DOF preview button to line the sights up, then take the picture without moving. It would have been easy if all I wanted was a "sight picture" example, but I wanted a hand in there too.

I like the idea of it all but I must also agreed that the focus point should be on the front sight. I'm pretty sure that this shot wasn't easy but the results are good and well worth it.

I like this image the most because Being on this side of a weapon feels good ;).

I might try to do a focus stacked one...with everything in focus. Man, that sounds like a pain in the ass though, lol!

i have respect for the work you did to get this shot.

my 2 cents: i miss a target to complete the image and i would like to see this in a background setting that makes it less artificial such as a forest scene or living room.

I like this image the most because Being on this side of a weapon feels good .

here here.

my 2 cents: i miss a target to complete the image and i would like to see this in a background setting that makes it less artificial such as a forest scene or living room.

I thought the same thing, but didn't really know how to pull it off...

I thought about using a paper target, at least.

I don't know if it would even be possible to do in one shot... I might have to combine 2 or 3 pictures to do it.

Not sure on this site thing as I don't know a whole lot about guns. I can see where it would not be possible to have your hand, the back of the gun and the front site all in focus. I'm not sure if even stacking would fix this. Probably the only way to fix it, is with a little PP help. I would like to comment on the lighting, as it is a class I am taking right now. Looks to me like it was side lighting, which may be a very good choice for such a masculine photo. It has brings out and empahsizes textures. The textures in your hand are very visible as well as the back part of the gun. I would have thought a gun would have a shiny, smooth back, but clearly it does not. My only nitpick, the light has caused as couple of specular highlights which are a little distracting.

Uh, no....with the front sight in focus, you'd have about 1/10 of one perent of the entire frame in focus....it's far better to have the rear sight, the hammer, and the sides of the frame and slide in focus.

This setup shot so that the picture had the front sight in focus would look awful. BTW, I shoot a lot too,and am an avid handgunner dating to the late 1970's...

I noticed that immediately but I don't think the goal of the photographer was to teach how to aim. If the focus were changed to the front site with no increase in DOF then the rest of the picture will be out of focus and generally uninteresting. With more DOF both sites could be in focus but I doubt this would make the shot more interesting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back