Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 & Tripod

I've seen two good power chair camera mounts made out of tubing that was mounted to the frame of the chair, and then a curved portion came up and over to basically the chair driver's face/eye-level area. Camera was mounted on a ballhead. Wheelchair service and fabrication shops could easily handle this!

Another option would be a Bogen or Impact brand "super clamp", and the a so-called "magic arm" with a camera mount...this would be a nice way to shoot directly from a seated position. Ex wife's in a power chair, am familiar with issues with camera/lens combos for a C6-C7 person.

Manfrotto 035 Super Clamp without Stud - Chrome SKU#952606

Manfrotto 244 Variable Friction Magic Arm with Camera Bracket

The tripod likely will be able to support the camera. There's also the option of using a short,short monopod on the seat cushion, between your legs, and shooting that way. The VC or Vibration Control should be able to stabilize the camera/lens combo with the tripod head _loose_. In fact. the manufacturer might even suggest that VC be set to OFF if the tripod is locked down tightly~! However--MANY people have found that VR or IS or VC can be used with a monopod, or hand-held, or on a loosey-goosey tripod head.

Vibration Control can EASILY stabilize a loosey-goosey camera! All you need is something to hold the camera and lens more or less where it is handy to aim and shoot with!

I would use what you have, and learn to handle it, and then as time goes on, see if there might be a better solution or two you can arrive at.

I'd be embarrassed to show y'all the Velbon tripod I have :barbershop_quartet_member:
My Velbon is my middle-weight tripod.
Mine I think is like your walking-about tripod. I don't expect to have a lot of call for tripod work, right out of the gate, so I expect it'll suffice for the nonce.

So what does one have to spend, minimally, for a tripod to reasonably support a lens like the OP's Tamron? Say in a used tripod that isn't all beat up?

You want to measure tripod height with the column DOWN.
Stability decreases the high you raise the center column.
I use the center column only for "SMALL" height adjustments of a couple/few inches.

For that lens, the use of a gimbal depends on what you are shooting.
For any fast moving subjects (sports, wildlife, etc.), I consider a gimbal head a necessary item.

I used a 500mm lens on a 3-way pan head ONCE, and immediately placed an order for a gimbal head. It was too hard to track a moving subject with the 3-way pan head.

Similarly, I would NOT put that lens on a ball head. The problem/issue that I have with a ball head is, when you move the lens, it will move in all 3 axis. Put a HEAVY lens on the camera, and I cannot make mine loose enough to EASILY track moving subjects, and at the same time not have it flop over. I end up having to support the camera/lens so that it won't flop over. The people that love ball heads will probably flame me now.

The head, gimbal, 3-way pan or ball screws onto a 3/8 inch screw on the tripod center column.
But the tripod must have a 3/8 inch screw. If it is any other size, like 1/4 inch, you need to get an adapter. I would not put a gimbal on a tripod with a 1/4 inch screw. Too much stress on that screw.

Only one way to find out if it works......

2018-01-30_07-31-34 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Just be close enough to support the camera and lens if it falls until you have used it enough times to have confidence in it. I see this stuff about tripods all the time, most photograhers way over spec their tripod needs. That's a Velbon sherpa 600R with a cheap unbranded gimbal head, though the head is newish I've been using the legs for just under 4 years now, and they've not failed or slipped once due to mechanical issues with the legs.

Thanks for all your replies guys, I really appreciate them all.

Last night, having spent a couple of hours looking at adaptions to the tripod to add a ball head, I put the camera and lens on the tripod, in the existing tripod connector, it seemed sturdy and held position, the camera and lens that is, but my concerns were soon at the forefront of my mind, and in agreement with what has been said. So I spent another hour looking at heavier more suitable tripods with a ball head. Eventually I found one but chose not to purchase it, and look again this morning before deciding. I have ordered a new Zomei Professional with a load capacity of 13kg. It is a tripod/monopod system so should be much better than the first one purchased.

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions, in the end common sense prevailed, sometimes you just have to get your head round buying something else when you just purchased one. As for the Gimball that will no doubt be on my wish list and will be an item I will obtain in time.

Last edited:
I've seen two good power chair camera mounts made out of tubing that was mounted to the frame of the chair, and then a curved portion came up and over to basically the chair driver's face/eye-level area. Camera was mounted on a ballhead. Wheelchair service and fabrication shops could easily handle this!

Another option would be a Bogen or Impact brand "super clamp", and the a so-called "magic arm" with a camera mount...this would be a nice way to shoot directly from a seated position. Ex wife's in a power chair, am familiar with issues with camera/lens combos for a C6-C7 person.

Manfrotto 035 Super Clamp without Stud - Chrome SKU#952606

Manfrotto 244 Variable Friction Magic Arm with Camera Bracket

The tripod likely will be able to support the camera. There's also the option of using a short,short monopod on the seat cushion, between your legs, and shooting that way. The VC or Vibration Control should be able to stabilize the camera/lens combo with the tripod head _loose_. In fact. the manufacturer might even suggest that VC be set to OFF if the tripod is locked down tightly~! However--MANY people have found that VR or IS or VC can be used with a monopod, or hand-held, or on a loosey-goosey tripod head.

Vibration Control can EASILY stabilize a loosey-goosey camera! All you need is something to hold the camera and lens more or less where it is handy to aim and shoot with!

I would use what you have, and learn to handle it, and then as time goes on, see if there might be a better solution or two you can arrive at.

This information for wheel chair adaptation is most helpful, I know it will only be a matter of time before I look for items for the powerchair, would you like to PM it to me please then I can refer to it and fond it easily, sometimes posts get embedded and things are hard to find a few months down the line.

Thanks again for your suggestion, really appreciated. :encouragement:

Thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions, I appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back