Tamron SP400mm F/4LD

RVT1K

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Someone in my area has this listed on Craigslist. The seller claims zero knowledge and is simply settling an estate. Here's the text:

Up for sale is an unusual Tamron SP400mm F/4LD. I don't know anything about it, except it's new and unused. It's part of an estate sale, so it basically is what it is.

I can't find much about this lens and was wondering if anyone out there has any thoughts or comments or possibly experience? I can't even find out if it is compatible with a Nikon body. I will say that I find the "new" part a more than a little suspicious.

Thanks

I owned a 300/2.8 Tamron LD with its original 2x converter, and payed as I recall $1,699 in '86 or '87. It was in Adaptall-II mount.Constuction quality was good.
Their 400/4 LD was less-popular.

Last edited:
I contacted the person who posted the ad and got a fuller story. He's helping the daughter of the deceased close out an estate. Apparently her dad was a hoarder and there is a ton of unused stuff. I may take a look Sunday if the weather here permits.

I own it's little brother, the SP 300mm f/2.8 LD IF. The 400mm f/4 is basically the same optic, but larger. The 300/2.8 is an outstanding lens and I'm sure the 400/4 LD IF is every bit as good. The "LD" in its name indicates it has special "low dispersion" glass that improves optical performance. The 300/2.8 came new in a case with a 1.4 teleconverter. I suspect the same is true for the 400/4.

Adaptall-2.com has all the good information on Tamron manual focus lenses. Here is their comments regarding the 400/4:

Tamron SP Adaptall-2 400mm F/4 LD-IF Model 65B

Thanks for all the input.

I took a look at things on Sunday and I did buy it. There were already a couple of Nikon adaptors with it. But I also got the 300mm f/2.8 with a 2x tele-converter. And a nice Manfrotto tripod with a SLIK head. All for $400.

The 300mm is in great shape but I see what is probably fungus in the 400mm. The way I saw it, I got a great deal on the 300mm/tele-converter/tripod/head and got the 400mm for free. He also had a Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 that was in nice shape (and I probably could have "stolen") but I already have the 70-200 f/2.8.

So is it feasible to get the 400mm examined and cleaned. I've only heard of having a digital camera sensor cleaned but never the internals of a lens.

Here's a test shot made with the Tamron 300mm f/2.8 SP AF LD mated with the Tamron 300FNs 2X SP AF tele-converter. Shot through a closed window so maybe not the best test but not bad.

DS3_7440 - Copy.JPG

So is it feasible to get the 400mm examined and cleaned. I've only heard of having a digital camera sensor cleaned but never the internals of a lens.

Yes, by a camera tech with an optical bench.
But it won't be cheap, if it has to be recollimated on the bench. Though cheaper than doing a zoom.

Update....

I had the 400mm evaluated and it was as I feared, not worth repairing.
The fungus had damaged the coating on some of the glass and I was told that even though the fungus could be removed ($200 - $300), the image quality would not improve much.
I've asked to have it returned as-is.

I dunno... I think it is a mistake to get rid of it unless the fungus is really, really bad... how are the images?

So..the coating is not that great..big deal... even un-coated, the image ought to be relatively sharp, and all you'd need to do would be to apply bit of extra sharpening and added clarity/contrast in post.

You got a 300/2.8 AND a 400/4 in Adaptall-2, plus converter(s) for $300... you have VERY little investment here...

I dunno... I think it is a mistake to get rid of it unless the fungus is really, really bad... how are the images?

So..the coating is not that great..big deal... even un-coated, the image ought to be relatively sharp, and all you'd need to do would be to apply bit of extra sharpening and added clarity/contrast in post.

You got a 300/2.8 AND a 400/4 in Adaptall-2, plus converter(s) for $300... you have VERY little investment here...

I don't know what I'll do with it. I don't really have any experience with fungus on any other lenses but it looked bad to me.
I took a few pictures with it when I first picked it up and I recall them being pretty cloudy. But I was just playing and its possible I can get acceptable images with it, I'll see what happens when it comes back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back