That damn Monkey story took another turn...

3034115-poster-p-1-the-monkey-selfie-question.jpg

Did you pay for use of that photo ?
Did you pay for reposting it in your quote?

Yes, I gave them a penny for my thoughts before I reposted it.
:) <== we need a smiling monkey emoticon.

wont go anywhere in court. such a waste of everyones time

Yeah, really. An animal can't own a copyright because for that - you have to be a human being!! although apparently not necessarily one with an ounce of common sense! lol

Yeah, really. An animal can't own a copyright because for that - you have to be a human being!! although apparently not necessarily one with an ounce of common sense! lol

Come to think of it: Maybe they should award all of PETA's money to the monkey. I certainly think he's got more common sense, and would make better use of it than they do.

Come to think of it: Maybe they should award all of PETA's money to the monkey. I certainly think he's got more common sense, and would make better use of it than they do.

And the monkey might like to upgrade his camera equipment, for better selfies.

How did the pictures of the guy get on here?. None of youse guys took the picture or do we have Monkey Members? PETA can be a pain but sometimes they have a point. The monkey in question is part of an endangered or near-endangered species and someone could probably use the dough to buy up land to keep the monkey habitat from being raped.
Truth is, it looks like PETA is just trying to get some "ink" -- to get their name in the papers and on the Internet. Youse guys fell for that one. If the photog doesn't own the pic, PETA is going to court against the wrong party and is wasting their time.
But riddle me this, Batman -- let us say I set up a camera with a motion detection shutter trigger and an endangered species Hairy Rhino from Indonesia or some place like that comes along -- and the fuzzy guys trips the shutter? Well, who owns the picture? There are zillions of those type of photos around and I guess nobody owns them. What if I fly a drone with a time delay shutter release camera? The drone took the photo....
Back in the 1970s hoity-toity magazines would put two names on a photo as the photographers. They decided in their pointey-headed wisdom that the designer who set up the photo setting was a co-photographer. I wonder what the US Govmint thought about that.

Surely this kind of argument reduces photography to the simple action of clicking a button ... Surely everyone on this forum knows that this is not the case. Photography is doing and thinking about a hundred other things. It is possible for someone to be the photographer of a picture, without being the one who pressed the button.

Regarding the above article -http://petapixel.com/2016/01/07/judge-rules-that-monkey-cant-own-copyright-to-his-famous-selfie/ -
Even though Judge Orrick plans on dismissing the case, he has given PETA permission to file an amended lawsuit, and the animal rights group says it plans to do just that. ... the saga looks to continue

Most reactions

Back